Is there a router that can automatically switch from WAN to 4G internet if my landline is down?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is there a router that can automatically switch from WAN to 4G internet if my landline is down?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-08 08:33:44 - last edited 2020-04-09 06:37:31

Hi,

I'm looking for a WAN/4g router that can connect to another modem for a WAN internet connection through the landline, so if the WAN internet drops out, will it automatically switch to the 4g (if I have a prepaid sim for wireless broadband). And the devices I have connected the the WAN/4G router will stay online.

I’m thinking of setting it up so my original modem is on bridge mode. With a cable from the LAN port on the original modem to the WAN port on the new WAN/4g router. I have been told the Archer MR400 can do this. But other people are saying it can only switch manually. 

Can the Archer MR400 be setup to switch automatically to 4g if my landline internet drops out?

Or is there another type of router that can do this function?

Help please  : )

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is there a router that can automatically switch from WAN to 4G internet if my landline is down?-Solution
2020-04-09 06:36:50 - last edited 2020-04-09 06:37:31

@Frotto 

Hi, the Archer MR400 supports 3/4G backup when it works as a regular wireless router. 

Below is the setup instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2719/ 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Is there a router that can automatically switch from WAN to 4G internet if my landline is down?-Solution
2020-04-09 06:36:50 - last edited 2020-04-09 06:37:31

@Frotto 

Hi, the Archer MR400 supports 3/4G backup when it works as a regular wireless router. 

Below is the setup instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2719/ 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is there a router that can automatically switch from WAN to 4G internet if my landline is down?
2020-04-09 07:45:18

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks. That's the best answer I've had so far.

I know I've already mentioned, but I just want to make sure the MR400 will work with a prepaid SIM card, not the SIM card that comes with my original modem. So if I had landline internet with one provider, and a prepaid SIM card from a different provider, would the 3/4g backup still work? Eg. If I had Telstra landline Internet and I have an Optus prepaid mobile sim in the MR400.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2969

Replies: 2