Speedtest issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Speedtest issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Speedtest issues
Speedtest issues
2020-04-08 22:37:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time on the forums, so I wanted to start by thanking everyone in advance for any advice they can offer.

I'm very much an everyday home user, I'm not very techy in the way of networks. Apolpogies is this is a noob question.

I'm getting download speeds of around 90mbps when I test the speed through the deco app, however when I do a speedtest (by ookla) on my laptop or phone it doesn't go past 40mbps. Is there an obvious reason why this would be the case?? Maybe my deco settings are off?

My phone is placed directly next to the deco unit, which is hard wired to my modem so i'm assuming there's no interference issues.

Thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:Speedtest issues
2020-04-08 22:57:59

@Nathan123 

There's a couple of other people experiencing the same issues, see the US forum:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/202492

Hope we can get this fixed ASAP

Options
2020-04-09 03:10:00

@Nathan123 

Hi, what is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? 

What is the current network diagram?

With a computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable directly, what is the speed you can get from it? 

Have you ever enabled QoS on the Deco app? Please set the total bandwidth as "Get via Internet Speed Test" and change the application QoS to standard. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-14 09:59:31

@Nathan123 

Hi All, 

thank you for your responses, I went dark over the Easter break to spend time with my family (I'm usually always working).

I've actually solved this, though by accident, basically by clicking things. I know..I know... In any case, I wanted to share in case anyone else is getting the same issue.

It seems that there was some type of bandwidth output limitation in the deco unit. It was receiving the full 90mbps speeds from the modem (shown when I used the app to test the speed) but nothing connected to the Deco wifi recieved 40mbps. I have never set this, I couldn't even if i wanted to. All I can think is that it tested the speed from my modem when I installed it (I was on a lower speed plan), and it set the max bandwidth at that speed automatically. Just a guess.

I went exploring through the Deco mobile app and started trying to prioritise devices so see if that helped (prioritising my laptop which I use for work) and for some reason, when I clicked to priorotise my phone (and it only happened with my phone) it asked if I wanted to set my maximum bandwidth manually or automatically through a speedtest. I clicked auto, it did the normal speedtest I'd done before, and that I got the full speed across all devices to the correct 90mbps.

Since that, I've not actually been able to find where you set the maximum bandwidth output, so I couldn't replicate it. I'd need to rely on this to randomly pop-up. Maybe I missed it though. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old daughters who scream and hang off me constantly, so it's hard to focus.

The story here though is that it you are getting the same issue I am, try and reset the maximum bandwidth. I can't tell you how but maybe other users can? 

Or if you are reading this and know how to do it properly, it would be great to share in case others find it in the future and don't have to rely on my poor solution!

Thank you again for your responses and good intentions to help.

I hope everyone is staying safe in the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 926

Replies: 3

Related Articles