Connect WAN and LAN to one pair of powerline adapters - TL-PA8030P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-09 06:25:41 - last edited 2020-04-09 06:28:20
Model: TL-PA8030P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi!

What i need to do is get my powerline adapter (PA) #1 to send my wan signal to PA #2 where the router is plugged in that will do the authentication an serve as wi-fi access point. From here i need to send LAN signal back to PA #1 where i'll plug in the HTPC (home theatre PC) that will use wired internet access that router will provide. Is that doable and what kind of cables would i need (for WAN from PA #2 to router patch cable or the normal data cable?).

To illustrate a bit better

WAN router -> PA #1 -> PA #2 -> wi-fi &LAN router -> LAN -> PA #2 -> PA #1 -> HTPC.

Thank you for any advice,

Sebastjan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connect WAN and LAN to one pair of powerline adapters - TL-PA8030P
2020-04-09 08:43:21

@Sebastjan 

Hi, can you access internet from the WAN router? Theoretically, we can use the PA1 to send signal to PA2 as long as it can access internet from the WAN router, also you can connect another router into PA2 to boost wifi signal. But I did not quite get your point about the last part. The devices connected to the LAN router won't be able to access the devices behind the WAN router cause they are in different subnets. And the network diagram you show up looks like a loop. 

Maybe you can provide more details. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-09 18:03:11

Hi @Kevin_Z and thank you for your input! 

Basically I need to route wan signal to my WiFi router that's gonna provide my WiFi Internet access and route LAN signal over the same PAs back to connect htpc to wired Internet (excuse my English but I hope you understand what I mean). The point being is I want to have router and NAS hidden away from eyesight and that's in other room that don't have any LAN cables so I took the PAs route. WAN router and WiFi router + NAS are in different rooms and with no direct cable connection. 

Does that make any sense? 

Options
2020-04-09 18:21:17

What i get is WAN routed to wifi router via PAs. That works fine and WWI-FI works perfectly. Problem pops up when i try to connect wifi router with wire (LAN) back to PA to get wired internet connection to HTPC. That i can not get. It seem it just doesn't work that way. The connection WAN to wifi router works (with internet access) and connection wifi router with wire to PA and HTPC doesn't.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2301

Replies: 3