Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
157 Reply
Re:Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?
2020-09-21 14:12:20

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello, is it possible to add support for WPA3 for the Deco M9 Plus V2?

Options
2020-09-21 21:59:19

@TP-Link_Deco i am having exactly the same iasue. All my Apple devices are warning me that my wifi is not secure. I have Deco M9 plus both V1 and V2, and it is disappointing and scaring that these devices are still using weak security.  TP-Link must release the new firmware supporting at least WPA2 (AES) ASAP. 

Options
2020-09-22 03:27:42

@CosmoN I AM RETURNING MY NEW TP LINK ROUTER AND EXTENDER TO AMAZON TONIGHT, AND EVERYONE SHOULD POST *** NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON AMAZON *** (WITH SCREENSHOTS FROM APPLE DEVICES SHOWING THE ISSUE) ABOUT ALL TP LINK PRODUCTS AS THEIR SECURITY IS A FREAKING JOKE !!!!  THEY HAVE KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE FOR MONTHS HAVE HAVE YET TO FIX IT.. BUH BYE TP LINK !!!

Options
2020-09-22 09:51:56

@DaveFromBoca  @repg 

Hello, sorry for any inconvenience caused by this "weak security" warning on your iOS14 when connecting to the Deco network.

The Deco supports mixed WPA/WPA2-AES/TKIP security, and some wireless clients may report this kind of security is weak, we actually are aware of this issue and will soon release a new firmware to support change the security type on the Deco devices, please wait patiently and keep an eye on your Deco app.

And if you worry about the security, you can update to the beta firmware first:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-22 13:55:36

@TP-Link_Deco 

The "Accepted Solution" is still in development, it seems.  

It looks like functionality and security on this mesh system is being significantly curtailed in favour of simplicity for users.

Like others, I shall anxiously await the official production firmware release.

Options
2020-09-22 20:01:03

@daBowmore 

are you operating the Deco as router or access point? The AP mode doesn't use login security as it only passes the traffic on to the router.

Options
2020-09-23 04:56:02

@CosmoN 

CosmoN wrote

@daBowmore 

are you operating the Deco as router or access point? The AP mode doesn't use login security as it only passes the traffic on to the router.

Yes I am operating Decos as Access Point.

Just to understand right: you are saying AP mode cannot define WiFi encryption/security??

Honestly, I don't think that's right. Or at least it should not be :) At least we can define the AP name (SSID) and password. But the option for WPA version is missing. To my understanding this was confirmed already by TP-Link representative in this thread as a bug or "missing feature" and is available in Beta firmware. I like many others are waiting for official firmware.

WiFI Access Point is solely responsible of setting up the WiFi and it's authentication and encryption.

I mean which component in such network topology would set the WiFi security? The internet router which has WiFi completely switched off? Or my unmanaged gigabit switches? There's nothing more than those and several meters worth of CAT 5E cables :)

Options
2020-09-23 16:14:57 - last edited 2020-09-23 16:44:33

@daBowmore 

It appears that the Decos have been designed under the assumption that one deco plays the role of a router and assumes the control of the system settings. One can argue that this is a design flaw, while the other side of that argument is a main stream application where an existing router is replaced with a Deco (after all this is a consumer product and doesn't aim on expanding Lecel 2/3 networks).

Unifi does something similar. While their AP’s are capable of different security standards one needs either a Controller or DM Pro (router) to configure the security protocols. 

I'm your case, the easiest would be to set up a radius server on the router (presuming the router offers that feature). Alternatively, reset deco to factory defaults, rerun the set up and set the security options as desired. After the set up is completed switch it to AP mode. it should inherit the settings (just surpasses the app options). 

Options
2020-09-23 19:13:26

@TP-Link_Deco 

Any idea if and when a WP2 AES will be supported by DECO M4? My IPhone reports my WiFi network as vulnerable/less secure due to WPA support.

Thank you

Tal

Options
2020-09-23 19:36:18

@Ingvar same here. I am a security guy and my network is insecure! Ha!

Options