Powerline/wifi adapter stopped working and won't pair

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-20 17:07:54
Model: TL-WPA7510 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi

I've had a WPA7510 UK kit installed for 6 days (delivered last Tues) and it's been working fine all this time. Suddenly this afternoon the powerline/wifi adapter stopped providing internet from the powerline network. 

SYMPTOMS

The power LED and the 2 wifi LEDs are on and steady. Ethernet LED will light up when I plug in my laptop. The powerline LED has stopped lighting up. The unit is plugged into the wall within 1.5-2m of my laptop, so when the powerline stopped working it still identifies this as the stongest wifi signal (it's WPS linked) so there's no internet from the unit, though I'm fairly certain the wifi function works.

WHAT I'VE DONE ALREADY

I have tried a number of times to reset and re-pair the wifi/powerline adapter in a variety of different locations but no luck. I downloaded the TP-Link Utility and I tried plugging in via ethernet but the Utility it was "unable to add the device".

SOMETHING I NOTICED

When I reset (hold reset button for 15+ seconds to make all LED flash off), give it a few minutes to start up again, the pair the adapter again (pressing pair at the router's adapter and then pair at the wifi/powerline adapter), the wifi/powerline adapter's power LED will flash on and off whilst it's looking for the powerline network as usual. However once it stops flashing on and off and is steadily lit up (no change to powerline LED), if I try to hold pair down for a second or two, the power LED doesn't flash on and off. Could this mean that the unit has established itself in the powerline network, but there's an issue with the unit and it's not converting that powerline signal into internet for the wifi or ethernet?

Also, how hot is this unit supposed to get? I'm assuming quite hot as it has vent holes all the way around the top half... is that right?

I am only using the wifi/powerline adapter unit from this kit as the existing wire-only powerline network is working fine. Also, the kit I bought was an official refurbished product. If it's possible for us to resolve without me going straight to the warranty replacement option that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline/wifi adapter stopped working and won't pair
2020-04-23 07:19:48

@EddJ 

Hi there

What about the status of the powerline LED when the WPA7510 unit drops?

The powerline LED is the one that looks like a house.

You have a TL-WPA7510 and a TL-PA7010 in your house, right?

So currently you are not using the TL-PA7010, only using TL-WPA7510?

I suppose this won't work, it won't let you get Internet, because powerline devices are meant to be working in pairs or more.

Thanks.

Options
2020-04-24 14:44:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for replying. 

The powerline 'house' LED and the powerline internet function both stopped at the same time, so the LED went off and the powerline internet wasn't working.

Correct that I have the WPA7510 and PA7010 as part of the kit, and correct that I'm only using the WPA7510 - HOWEVER I do already have a pair of powerline units already (I mentioned this before but perhaps not clear enough?). These pre-existings powerline units (different brand) have been working fine for a few years since I've had them, they were working well will the WPA7510 and are continuing to work well after the WPA7510 powerline issue cropped up. I've since plugged in the PA7010 and that receives powerline at the same socket as the WPA7510 was in and the PA7010 works with the pair of pre-existing units.

Options
2020-06-12 05:57:08

EddJ wrote

Hi

I've had a WPA7510 UK kit installed for 6 days (delivered last Tues) and it's been working fine all this time. Suddenly this afternoon the powerline/wifi adapter stopped providing internet from the powerline network. 

SYMPTOMS

The power LED and the 2 wifi LEDs are on and steady. Ethernet LED will light up when I plug in my laptop. The powerline LED has stopped lighting up. The unit is plugged into the wall within 1.5-2m of my laptop, so when the powerline stopped working it still identifies this as the stongest wifi signal (it's WPS linked) so there's no internet from the unit, though I'm fairly certain the wifi function works.

WHAT I'VE DONE ALREADY

I have tried a number of times to reset and re-pair the wifi/powerline adapter in a variety of different locations but no luck. I downloaded the TP-Link Utility and I tried plugging in via ethernet but the Utility it was "unable to add the device".

SOMETHING I NOTICED

When I reset (hold reset button for 15+ seconds to make all LED flash off), give it a few minutes to start up again, the pair the adapter again (pressing pair at the router's adapter and then pair at the wifi/powerline adapter), the wifi/powerline adapter's power LED will flash on and off whilst it's looking for the powerline network as usual. However once it stops flashing on and off and is steadily lit up (no change to powerline LED), if I try to hold pair down for a second or two, the power LED doesn't flash on and off. Could this mean that the unit has established itself in the powerline network, but there's an issue with the unit and it's not converting that powerline signal into internet for the wifi or ethernet?

Also, how hot is this unit supposed to get? I'm assuming quite hot as it has vent holes all the way around the top half... is that right?

I am only using the wifi/powerline adapter unit from this kit as the existing wire-only powerline network is working fine. Also, the kit I bought was an official refurbished product. If it's possible for us to resolve without me going straight to the warranty replacement option that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

I have had the exact same experience - bought this refurbished kit and have just paired the wireless-enabled WPA7510 with my older TP-Link powerline adapter, which is the TL-PA4010P in my case. Had no problems setting them up and they've worked tirelessly for - you guessed it - six days until yesterday night, the WPA7510 started displaying a red LED for the powerline connection.

At first I didn't make much of it as I thought it's to do with the difference in adapter versions, perhaps the newer unit was confused why it wasn't getting higher speeds. Weirdly, the WiFi signal sometimes stays up but usually it disappears the same way you've described - the AP is still displayed as offering the 'strongest' signal, yet there's no viable WiFi signal coming from it.

I've just gone through testing the set-up in the same room, two sockets apart, and the WPA7510 stays red whilst my older adapter is solid green throughout. I've not had new appliances plugged in and like I said, it's all worked well - for 6 days!

So yeah, unless TP-Link comes with useful advice on the matter, I'd be returning my new kit. I REALLY need 5GHz WiFi though, but if this whole experience means that newer TP-Link adapters won't play well with my existing set-up, then I'll be looking for a new one altogether - possibly from another brand, as I've been through a month of troubleshooting network issues and really need a stable solution.

TP-Link team, please don't disregard this issue - we need to know the possible cause of this ASAP so we know whether to return the product.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6813

Replies: 3