DECO M4 speed degradation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-22 17:55:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Hi Guys;

so lately for no reason I did a check on my Deco M4. I took the LAN cable that comes out of my fiber optic box in the building, hooked it up to my laptop and did a speed test. I got 860Mbps which is ok cause I have a 1gbps line.

whats troublling is the performing the same test and just putting my deco M4 in the middle (still wired) I got around 260Mbps. so:

main ethernet -> my laptop yields max speed

main ethernet -> deco M4 port 1 -> my laptop hooked to deco M4 port 2 yields low speed

i repeated the test with several cat 6 cabled with several speed testing platforms and the results are all the same.

does this imply a faulty unit? am I missing something?

the only thing I didnt test it maybe repeat the deco test with its wifi disabe (if thats even possible) but it seems to me like it this cannot hurt the speed in such a big way.

I am also not sure if it was like that from the start or not... I have had the deco M4 for about a year now I think (maybe less)

your help is appreciated.

thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:DECO M4 speed degradation
2020-04-29 11:48:44

@gkatz 

1. When you connect your laptop to the fiber optic box directly, what's the link speed on your laptop? Which website or speed test tool you used to test the speed?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

2. When testing the main Deco's wired speed, what's the link speed on your laptop?

3. Have you configured the feature such as QoS, high priority on your Deco? If so, please disable it. By the way, on the QoS page, have you configured the bandwidth settings?

Options
Re:DECO M4 speed degradation
2020-04-29 13:19:54
thanks for the reply. 1. I get around 870Mbps directly from the fiber LAN and around 550Mbps from deco. it was a lot worst before I did hte following: a. removed QoS (my tv had it) b. put limit of 999Mbps on DL/UL (was 1000 before I thought maybe 1000 is confusing for the deco :) ) 2. will have to check and update 3. like stated above I hav not removed QoS and using 999Mbps limit still there are many things I dont understand. 1. why is there a difference between the before and after deco. it is a major difference not something small. 2. if I cant use QoS what is the point of this feature? thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1032

Replies: 2