Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 17:11:05 - last edited 2021-03-05 11:51:27
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Hello,

I have just setup a couple of Deco M5 on my home, replacing an Apple Airport network.

I have FO to the house, and a speed of 200/40. The modem was configured with the PPPoE settings there, so the first time I setup the Deco it was with Dynamic IP. Everything worked fine. I could get around 196 mbps down and 40 up.

Then I changed the Modem to be in bridge mode, and setup the PPPoE connection on the Deco. After that change, I can't get anywhere (nor the Deco themselves, nor with a computer connected via ethernet, nor via WiFi) more than 100 mbps down.

Note that the ethernet cable between the modem and the main Deco was not changed at all, and both report a 1Gbps connection as expected.

Just to make sure it was not my ISP, I returned the modem to the default settings, it handling the PPPoE connection, and setup the Deco again to have a Dynamic IP. Now I can get again the 200mbps down.

The only thing different seems to be the device handling the PPPoE connection. I don't expect the Deco to be limited somehow to the speeds it can handle in that case, but it appears to be the case.

Anybody noticing something similar?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem-Solution
2020-11-25 21:39:34 - last edited 2020-11-26 06:48:23

@TP-Link - Thank you for your response. The problem was in QoS were max speed was set based on my previous ISP Speed (50MB). This was never updated after i moved to new ISP with 100MB. Issue is resolved 

@rgomez - Thank you for your help too. I am sure you are wondering which rural part i live in with 100mb speed lol. 

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem
2020-05-14 12:12:48

@rgomez 

Hello,

In this case, can you try to set up the modem in the bridge mode, and then connect a PC to the modem directly, then set up PPPoE connection on the PC and check the download speed?

You can refer to the link below to set up a PPPoE connection on the PC.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/921/

Options
Re:Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem
2020-05-14 17:37:13
Hello, I tried again setting up the PPPoE connection directly on the Deco and now the speed is as expected. Maybe it was something on my ISP: the MAC address of the device or something similar... I don't know. But now it is working as expected, so all is good!. Thanks!
Options
2020-11-23 00:44:30 - last edited 2020-11-23 00:45:55

@rgomez I have the same issue. 

- My ISP modem is in bridge mode 

- I used my Asus router with PPPoE and I get full 100mb / 100 mb speed 

- I changed deco m5 setting with PPPoE and after 3-4 round of speed test, the speed get restricted to 50 out of 100. 

- I have pair bonding i.e 2 DSL lines going to my modem router from isp but since my Asus works I don't think that's an issue also that rulesout any MAC blocking from ISP. 

- Asus router has WAN port unlike my deco doesn't have anything special. 

Is it possible for you to share your setting? 

Options
2020-11-23 10:47:29

@KiLLeR17 

Good day,

Thanks for your detailed information.

Have you tried to change another Deco as the master Deco to have a look?

And please also try to turn off the Antivirus, parental control, QoS settings;

If possible, could you please set up the PPPoE connection on the computer as well and test how much speed on the computer?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/921/

Wait for your reply.

Options
2020-11-24 01:17:22

@TP-Link thank you for your response. 

The test of connecting the computer using PPoE is redududent because I already tested using a different brand router and it's working with a full speed. 

As far as changing the main Deco concern, I ran into a different problem where the option to set a certain Deco as a main is not there anymore after the recent app update. 

Options
2020-11-24 01:30:56

@KiLLeR17 

Hello,

I discovered after some sporadic events of low speeds on my connection that the ISP modem was not negotiating the full duplex 1000mbps with the Deco. I changed the Ethernet cable between the two and everything has been running smoothly.

I don't know if that could be your issue too, for me it was an unpleaseant surprise as I was on the phone with the ISP making a big mess, only to discover that was the problem... the cable was a Cat6 patch cable, but I changed it for a new one and haven't had any issues about speed since. I might have damaged the other cable or something like that, I don't know.

Options
Re:Using PPPoE directly on the Deco gives me a lower speed than using the PPPoE on the ISP modem-Solution
2020-11-25 21:39:34 - last edited 2020-11-26 06:48:23

@TP-Link - Thank you for your response. The problem was in QoS were max speed was set based on my previous ISP Speed (50MB). This was never updated after i moved to new ISP with 100MB. Issue is resolved 

@rgomez - Thank you for your help too. I am sure you are wondering which rural part i live in with 100mb speed lol. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-09 14:20:14

@KiLLeR17 I have nothing set under my QoS so that can't be the cause, right? I have the exact issue but I have no limits under QoS, no parental controls and no AV enabled. :(

Options
2021-03-09 16:47:02

@ARdeco Can you give me more detail interms of what happens when you do speedtest ?

- What is your ISP speed and what are you getting on Deco? 

- What if you remove Deco?

- Test from Wired and Wireless connection 

Once thing i noticed when Deco was reducing my speed was when i do speed test i get full speed for first 1-2 seconds and than it starts reducing towards end of speed test. This is a good indication that something in your Router Config is blocking the speed.

Options
2021-03-10 21:18:06

KiLLeR17 wrote

@ARdeco Can you give me more detail interms of what happens when you do speedtest ?

- What is your ISP speed and what are you getting on Deco? 

- What if you remove Deco?

- Test from Wired and Wireless connection 

Once thing i noticed when Deco was reducing my speed was when i do speed test i get full speed for first 1-2 seconds and than it starts reducing towards end of speed test. This is a good indication that something in your Router Config is blocking the speed.

@KiLLeR17 I was getting 700-800s before any of these started. I enabled bridging/pppoe setup and it fell to 300-400s. Then I enabled QoS and nothing happened (more on this later). Then I tried to disable it but apparently can't just reset those numbers (so frustrating!). I played with different values, put in max, little under max, bit more under max, etc. nothing happened. Then I reset the CL device just to be sure i'm doing the set up accurately several times but results has always been the same. Except, now when I was not on this setup I get max of 600s not 700-800 like before which I am suspicious of the QoS being enabled (told you I'd come back to that later). Currently, I re-enabled pppoe and just ran a test and I see 456/304 for my dl/ul speeds.

these tests are in the deco app, not from my wireless device. assuming that number is incoming speed from the gateway/CL and since they are hardwired the lost should be minimal just the distance and cabling effect? I'm also open to any other settings configuration like you mentioned but there are already very limited number of things that we can impact and I dont really have much of settings changed. Thoughts?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 15019

Replies: 13

Related Articles