Basic set up help needed for a non tech my!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-04 09:26:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Please excuse my complete lack of any sort of knowledge when it comes to anything remotely technical!

Always been a virgin media customer and always had some spots in the house that struggled with WiFi. Worked but dropped out and lagged on games, etc.  Having 3 tweens at home for 10 weeks coupled with a new garage to bedroom conversion, has highlighted how bad the problem is.  My teenager that moved into the garage, can't load anything on his smart TV at all and his gaming pc was slow.

I literally done the out the box set up for the deco m5 last night connected to my virgin hub 3.0

I've got the main unit plugged into the hub, one in the garage conversion and 1 on the landing upstairs (to serve 3 bedrooms (standard semi)

Results have been mixed and I'm sure I need to tweak something but have no clue what!

Garage bedroom- PC noticebally quicker, TV on the wall still can't load netflix

2 smaller bedrooms Upstairs happily running Netflix and YouTube.  Main bedroom, brand new smart tv timing out when trying to connect to new network.

Just checked speeds using the deco app and download is 84.7 and upload is 34. Currently just got my phone and 2 TV's running.   Noticed that both the hallway and garage units have 2 signal bars. 

Ive Googled the hell out of optimal set up for these things and quite honestly, don't have a clue what most of the terminology means!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Basic set up help needed for a non tech my!
2020-06-05 12:17:05

@Natalie81. 

Hi, 
To better help you, please help to confirm the following information.
1. Are the two slave Deco connected to the main Deco directly via Wi-Fi? And the signal bar from the main Deco is two bars?

2. On the Garage bedroom, can the TV load other websites such as youtube?

3. Have you tried to turn off fast roaming feature on the Deco app, and then check if the new TV on the main bedroom will work?

4. Have you enabled QoS feature on the Deco? If so, please turn off the high priority for the clients, and set the QoS to standard mode for a try.

Options
2020-06-05 13:13:51

@TP-Link_Deco 

I've actually managed to crack it myself (feeling proud 🤣)

I deleted all devices and started again but with putting my virgin media hub into modem mode first. I've used a longer Ethernet cable from my virgin hub to my main deco unit so that I can have it placed nearer the hallway to the garage.  I've got the garage bedroom one plugged directly into the TV.   Upstairs is now 3 bars but both tweens have said it's loads better so I'll take that!

Options
2020-06-05 13:16:54
Options
2020-06-11 11:44:35

@Natalie81. 

Glad to hear that your problem is solved. 

Good day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 767

Replies: 4

Related Articles