Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
151 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?
2020-08-15 21:48:29 - last edited 2020-08-15 21:49:02

@DKJr 

I would avoid it for sure. I'm not even using this router anymore. I've been using an ASUS that's light years ahead software wise and seems as fast even though the specs are not even close. The ax6000 is now my backup. 

Options
2020-08-16 08:24:17

@Greg1234 

Works great here too. No issues at all.

Options
2020-08-16 08:42:16

@DKJr can you provide the download link?

Options
2020-08-16 12:02:49
Options
2020-08-18 21:58:25

Well, I took the leap to upgrade firmware, and... THUNK.  Mine is in access point mode, and connected to DSL modem which acts as the main router, and it went from working ok (with occasional IP disconnects & reconnects) to basically junk now.  All it does is the blue light spins around forever like its searching for connection, then it turns solid red like it found connection and has to initialize, but within 5 seconds it drops the connection again and blue light spins around & around.

Wondering if anyone might have any advice on this?  If I can get it to just stop initializing, I know I'll be able to log in and do the firmware downgrade procedure, but this never ending cycle of searching for signal is maddening.  I just simply cannot do anything with it now.

Any ideas?

Options
2020-08-19 00:00:34

@SteveMoz 

Ugh - I am sorry...

And now there is no damn way I am updating...maybe in January...but hell no now...

Options
2020-08-19 01:57:23

@SteveMoz 

Hello, sorry to hear that you are encountering a new issue with the latest firmware update. Can you please reset the AX6000 to its factory and confirm if you can access its web interface?

The LED on the AX6000 spins blue then red means it has an issue connecting to the internet with your modem, so it may switch back to the router mode after and firmware update and there is temporarily no internet access. You may log into its web interface to change it back to AP mode again as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2066/

May it help.

Options
2020-08-20 15:04:41

Surprising Major Victory!! - And an unanswered question...

Wow, it turns out I think the core of all my issues was a power supply issue.  Let me explain:  I had ordered my Archer AX6000 off of eBay, and sat at home eagerly anticipating its arrival.  When it finally came, and I opened up the box, I found everything as it should be, except it had the European DC power supply converter.  Apparently, something either I overlooked in the eBay posting, or that the eBay poster didn't mention, or that the eBay poster wasn't aware of when he obtained it from his source.  Anyways, being not too stupid of a guy, I realize that I've accumulated many DC converters over the years, so I look at the stock one to see what its specs are.  Output 12V, 4000mA.  So, I begin to look around for something that'll work.  I find one with the same size tip, and output 12V, 0.5A.  Somehow, my brain screws this up, and says, yeah, that'll work, that 0.5A is 5000mA, and I can supply it more power than it needs, and it will only use whatever it needs.  But, 0.5A is actually 500mA, so it's actually way, way underpowered.  Everything basically resolved when I got a US to European outlet adapter that I could use for the stock DC converter.

So, it is obviously pretty much my fault for doing my math wrong and not giving it enough power, but here is my unanswered question:  How come it kind-of worked on the 1.0.7 Firmware, but not at all on the 1.1.0 Firmware with the same wrong power supply?  And one thing for TP-Link techs to verify with customers is the power supply.  It would have saved a bunch of headaches if the unit could detect that the power supply was insufficient to begin with, and inform the user to this, rather than try to run itself and cause major frustrations because it looks like it's an issue with the device, but it's really an issue of insufficient power.

So as of right now, I am on the 1.1.1 Firmware, and I'll have to see how this goes longer-term, but I'm relieved to go from non-working since the latest firmware upgrade back to functional.

I hope no one else is having this kind of an issue, but perhaps something to verify.

Good luck all!

Options
2020-08-20 15:15:31

@SteveMoz 

The power supply actually can deliver more than advertised for a short period of time and slowly was burning itself out. Thats my guess as to why it worked short term. It also likely uses more when its booting up than to keep running, so a combination of things in your case. 

Options
2020-08-20 15:52:40

@bheywow 

I'm still not downloading the updated firmware for a couple of months....I dont feel like being a tester again....

Options