Unable to connect PS4 to wifi when using range extender RE450

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-05 18:28:52 - last edited 2020-06-05 18:30:02
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20190124 Rel. 56886

Hello,

I have just purchased an RE450 to extend the range of my WiFi to the back of the house and garden (the main router being at the front of the house). I set it up using the WPS button on my router and it seemed to work just fine. Pretty much all of my devices are able to connect to the WiFi, with the expection of the children's PS4. It either fails to acquire an IP address or if it does manage to get an IP address, it then fails to connect to the internet. As soon as I unplug the range extender, the PS4 is able to reconnect to the WiFi - it had no problem connecting to it until I set up the range extender.

The PS4 is halfway between the main router and the range extender, if that makes any difference. I can't see the PS4 listed in the devices connected to the router (BT Home Hub 5), or on the Tether app. What is also strange is that I have a number of clients, both on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, that are listed as "unknown" with an IP address of 0.0.0.0. The app doesn't list any blocked clients.

I really need the range extender, but it'll be WWIII if my children can't get on their playstation!!

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud

Options
8 Reply
Re:Unable to connect PS4 to wifi when using range extender RE450
2020-06-08 12:10:02

@am304 

Hello,

Did you set a static IP address or set Address reservation for the PS4 on your BT Home Hub 5? May I know the IP address of it?

When the PS4 is connected to the RE450 wireless, will it show up on the extender's web UI? Please try to access its web UI and confirm it: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1398/.

If you can find it on the extender's web UI, check and confirm what is the MAC address of your PS4, is it the same as you set on the BT Home Hub 5 for static IP? Try to disable the smart DHCP on the extender and set a static one which should be in the same IP subnet as BT.

Options
2020-06-08 16:40:47

@Solla-topee Thank you for your reply. Since I posted my question, I did a bit more research and have tried renaming the extended network to a different SSID name. It didn't seem to fix it at first, only if there were no clients on the extended network. I now have some (well one) client(s) on the extended network (my mobile phone, on the 2.4GHz band) and the PS4 seems to have no issue in connecting to the main router. We did try to connect the PS4 to the extended wifi with the different SSID when we were troubleshooting, but it  didn't seem to work. If the issue reappears, I will definitely try your suggestion and come back to you, but for now at least, we seem to be sorted.

Thanks again,

Arnaud

Options
2020-10-14 11:59:36

I got the same issue here with my PS4 and RE450.

I cannot connect my ps4 with the extender..

I actually bought this model, because I thought my previous extender, a TL-WA860RE v1, was faulty.

Can you please guide me through fixing the issue, please?

Options
2020-12-13 18:56:48

@am304 I've just bought a REC450 too.  To start with my PC would connect to the extender using the 5G option!! My PS4 can't even see the extender unless I reboot my PC and now that my PC is connected to the extender and my PS4 connected to the router, the PS4 keeps dropping the connecting every few minutes.

Starting to feel like this was a waste of money.

Options
2020-12-13 19:13:18

@Mirrodin 
I managed to make it work.
Have a look here. It is working flawlessly since then.

Connection between RE450 and PS4 (Again)

Options
2020-12-13 19:28:53
my ps4 can't see the 5g network and there's no way to make it look for any specific frequency
Options
2020-12-13 19:31:40
i also tried connecting the ps4 with a cat6 LAN cable which the manual says is straightforward but the connection also intermittently drops
Options
2020-12-13 20:31:06
I've sinced renamed both SSIDs which is not obvious since there are no instructions to do with and no option that explicitly says "Rename". I selected Wireless under networks then simply typed in different names in the SSID boxes. The PS4 now sees the 2G network but not the 5G. My PC sees both. If I connect PC to 5G and PS4 to 2G on the extender, the connection still drops after a few minutes. I've now had to connect the PS4 back to the router as before and only the PC is connected to the extender. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least for this kind of money. The PC's connection is now much faster and I can watch FB or Youtube without any problems but the PS4 is still getting really crappy dl, ul speeds and high latency. Technology just pees me off so much. This is sold to make you believe it works and then you find countless problems you never imagined. I have more problems now than when I started. So much for technology making life easier.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 18991

Replies: 8