Set up using 4G with wan socket as backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-10 18:53:20 - last edited 2020-06-11 07:03:18
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I want to buy one of these and set it up to use 4G by default but switch to wired WAN if 4G fails.  The product description says "Wi-Fi router mode – plug an Ethernet cable into the LAN/WAN port for flexible access as a backup option if you can't get a 4G connection" - however in the manual and FAQ it just shows a switch to enable 3G/4G as backup after you have chosedn wi-fi router mode.

I have tried the emulator but on the emulator when you choose to go to router - mode it does a beautifully simulated reboot and then just takes to the main TP Link website :-(

Can anyone confirm that I can use 4G as main WAn and wired connection as backup and if so - how to do it?

Many thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Set up using 4G with wan socket as backup
2021-01-31 21:55:20
Hi I have exactly the same problem as I'm going to spend the lockdown at my mother's place, where the internet is DSL and 4G coverage is shaky. Thanks
Options
2021-10-29 06:06:04

Good morning! I would like to know if the possibility of primary connection over 4G and backup over WAN has been added instead of the other way around.
I just bought an MR600 v2 with this hardware and firmware version:

Firmware: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210208 Rel.61056n

Hardware: Archer MR600 v2 00000001

Thank you very much!!

Options
2021-11-01 08:18:15

@p.pasquali 

Hi, It is great feedback but Archer MR600 does not support it yet.

Most of the time, the cellular data is limited and would be used as a backup connection, is there any special reason for you to set up 4G as a primary connection

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-01 08:56:07

@TP-Link 

The reason is that where I am in Italy I have a slow and unreliable ADSL connection, while the 4G connection is much more performing, stable and fast.  For this I would like to use it as a primary connection.  In addition, many fixed telephone operators in Italy offer a sim with unlimited GB (actually 500GB per month) for a few euro.  So I've been using 4G as my primary connection at home for a few years now.

Thanks!!

Options
2021-11-03 10:59:37

@p.pasquali 

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I would like to report this to the senior engineers for further evaluation.

If anyone had the same request, please feel free to post it here.

Thank you again.

Options
2022-04-22 17:09:52

@JonGS 

Hi.  I am not in Italy or remote Scotland but like many in rural UK bought an MR600 to access unlimited 4G LTE/ 5G (I have a Three mast within line of sight) vs snail-like broadband over 1950s copper wiring which I don't expect BT Openreach to upgrade before 2025-30, if then.  The 4G offers 10x better upload speed (when it works) but suffers occasional drop-outs so I'd like to have the ADSL included as failover.  In the short-term it looks as though the fix is to buy a separate Load Balancer such as TP-Link's TL-R470T+, and push the MR600 and ADSL feeds into that.  But it seems dumb to have to buy an extra TP-Link product when surely a firmware update should be able to provide most of this functionality (or at very least to have 4G LTE as primary and ADSL as failover rather than the other way round)?  Feels like pretty much everyone who is buying this router has a variant of my problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1463

Replies: 6