Archer C7 lack of features!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-21 20:32:49 - last edited 2020-06-21 21:09:35
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101

I think that this product is a well designed budget router, however it lacks some features that could easily handle its hardware, for example:

• No DLNA server, only SMB, this could be a nice feature companied with Smart TVs.
  • It does support IPv6 in some config variants but doesn have 6in4 Tunnel (keep in mind that its not the same as 6to4 config), yeap I'm talking about TunnelBroker support.
  • Since it has SMB server in place it could also act as WINS server for the internal network.
  • Lacks of DNS internal server resolving hostanmes, it could cut some resources by useing DNSMASQ to also act as DHCP server.
  • Also on Dynamic DNS, there should be a posssibility of a Custom service provider, so you could for example coonfig dns.he.net service.

I know that this features could be easily be available since the router is on the support of 3rd party firmwares, but Im not looking forward on this since it will loose its main features of OneMesh support, that was my main goal for purchasing it.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C7 lack of features!
2020-06-22 02:47:10

@sebholz 

Hello, thanks a lot for your valued suggestions.

Currently, there are not any plans to eventually adopt more features or functions for the device, but we do agree that these would be great features to have. This will be forwarded as a feature request to our developers for consideration. Thank you again for your feedback.

Options
Re:Archer C7 lack of features!
2020-08-06 03:56:33

@Solla-topee 

Hi, thanks for replying.

If there is no plans to adopt new features on the device, and the device is considered old for renewing its firmware by the developer team. Then, I would suggest that TP-Link should release the firmware source code, with these TP-link would attract a new kind of clients that are enthusiastic on pushing the device to its limits. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 538

Replies: 2

Related Articles