beginners advice - how to check if extender has copied router's SSID and password?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

beginners advice - how to check if extender has copied router's SSID and password?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-22 09:37:42
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently bought a tp link powerline adapter (TL-WPA4220KIT) because I was getting slow wifi internet speeds in some parts of my house. 

I have set it up following the instructions, so that the extender adopts the SSID and password of my ISP router and as far as I can tell it is working ok.  

I seem to be getting ok speeds in the rooms in question but I can't tell if my laptop is connecting to the extender - and thereby benefiting from better speeds - or whether it is just connecting to my router in the normal way (and my normal wifi is just performing ok). Sometimes the speeds seem to drop to a very low and unusable speed, but usually if I re-boot or even simply wait it seems to pick up again - but I can't tell if this is an issue with the extender or my router. 

I notice that in the list of wifi networks available I am now seeing a network called 'tplink'.  Does that mean that I have failed to get the extender to adopt the SSID and password of my router? If I had successfully done so should it not share the wifi network identity of my router (in my case a Vodafone router)?   Or should I be connecting to that 'tplink' wifi network in order to benefit from the boosted wifi signal?  So far I have just been automatically connecting with my laptop to my normal wifi; is that the right thing to do or does that mean I am just using my router and not the extender at all?  How can I check that I have successfully got the extender to adopt the router's SSID and passowrd?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:beginners advice - how to check if extender has copied router's SSID and password?
2020-06-29 08:06:32

@mazman19 

Hi, if you didn't change the wireless settings for the WPA4220 KIT or failed to clone your Vodafone router wifi, you will get an independent wireless network.

In you case, it is suggested to confirm the below details:

1. Are all the LEDs on the WPA4220 KIT correctly on? Can you access the internet if you connect your computer to the WPPA4220 with an Ethernet cable?

2. Try to connect to the tplink wifi with the default password, which should be printed on its label, and check if you can get better signal.

3. If step 2 works, that means the tplink one is the WPA4220's network, you may connect to it or you can change it to clone your host wifi:

How can I copy the wireless setting from the front router using Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit by Wi-Fi Clone button?

May it help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1172

Replies: 1