vlans

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

vlans

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
vlans
vlans
2020-06-26 08:19:27
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

hello all

I am changing my home network

i will be implementing opnsense a server and this will be connected with a singlew connection to a managed switch. both of these devices will be configured with vlans.

main lan 192.688.1.1

vlan 10  lan 192.168.20.1

vlan 20 lan 192.168.30.1

i would like to hard wirer all my devices in every room.

in 2 rooms i will have multiple devices.here,  In these rooms i will have a powerline adapter conneced to a small smart switch  that will  connect all my devices in that room

in 3 other rooms i will have a single laptop and i would connect these devices to a powerline adapter .

1 option:

i can connect one powerline adapter to the main managed switch 

in this case all local power adapters shoudl carry all this information in the frame to this main adapter that will send the information to the managed switch that in turn will send that frame to the router so it can route it to the correct device.

the devices that are connected to a small smart switch which is connected to a powerline will carry the vlan informnation in addition to the ip and mack address

the devices connected to the powerline direcly  will carry the device information (ip and mac address) 

option 2

i connect 2 powerline addapters each to its own trunck on the main managed switch. The switch will have an ip address of 192.168.1.1

does this give me 2 netwroks?

if so this would mean that i can pair one of the 2 adapters to the adapters that are connected to the small managed switches (this will carry the vlan infoemation) they would have 2 vlan. one vlan wih a network address of 192.168.10.X and the other vlan with a network address 192.168.20.x 

the 2nd adapter will be paired to the other 3 adapters that are connected to a single laptop their network address will be  192.168.0.x

in reading and watching information on frames and packets i beleve that one of the 2 option is possible 

any suggestions?

thank you for responding 

Options
4 Reply
Re:vlans
2020-06-29 11:21:44

@unclebil 

Hello, can you please draw me a detailed network topology, which will help a lot in understanding what you require for?

Do you need those rooms in different VLAN networks or they can communicate when connected to the powerline devices? Currently, we cannot make certain if the different powerline networks will talk to each other from different VLAN networks.

Options
2020-06-29 15:09:57 - last edited 2020-06-29 15:15:59

hello all

I have currenly 2 tp links av1000  from 4 years ago which i am currently happy with.

they are currently connected to an ac87u 

I plan to develop opnsense in the near future not because i need itbu because this gives somethinf to do and i like learning new things

connected to this opnsense server I will connec a smart switch (to be purchased)

I have 5 rooms with pcs

1 room currently in use has an HTPC connected to a pream of my stereo whoi will also have a network connection and a tv this is my livingroom  on the ground floor. I plan to keep the ac87u in this room as an AP. this will require me to put in bridge mode. here i will put a 4 port smart switch. This will be connected to the server via a powerline adapter.

In 1 roon I plan to seggregate the AP from the IOT (the stereo) both on vlans and the htpc connected to the main lan

in a 2nd room I will have a 2nd HTPC a projector and to an amplifire. This will connect to a 4 port smart swtch connected to the powerline located in the loft

in  3rd room I will have connected a laptop and there will be a wifi printer, This room is on the ground floor.

in room 4 and 5 there is only a pc connected to its own powerline

as mentioned 

Main lan will be 192.168.1.x . this iis from untagged ports on the main swtch

vlan 10 will be  192.168.2.x this will be for the AP and will be part of vlan 10. 1 AP on the ground floor wich is the ac897u and one ap in the loft (to be purchased)

Vlan 20 will be 192.168.3 x this will be for the IOT devices (the stereos the home automation and amazon alexa) I will need to purchase an AP for this

I will need to buy

a smartswitch with 24 ports

2 smart switch with 4 ports

4 powerlines devices

1 ap

This is why i see 2 options and I need you to tell me which one is doable

Thank you

File:
my network.pdfDownload
Options
2020-07-02 08:29:27

@Solla-topee 

hello

i was hopping to receive a response so i know what to purchase as part of my development

Thank you

Options
2020-07-12 21:18:02

thank you all 

but i resolved my problen 

due to your non response i will not purchase tp-link equipment 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 718

Replies: 4