VR900: Bridging each VDSL Connection to a Specific LAN Port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 23:13:20 - last edited 2020-06-29 00:38:39
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I’m in the market for a VDSL modem to replace my ISP’s modem / router combo. I need a replacement that will meet my network design and ISP requirements. I have all the required ISP settings at my disposal. Currently I have the supplied modem / router (HG658) in bridge mode.

My ISP splits the VDSL connection into 3 VLANs, one for each service (Internet, VoIP and IPTV). I am able to bridge the Internet VDSL connection. However, I am unable to do the same for VoIP. VoIP works but only through the RJ11 ports on the modem / router combo which I do not want to use. Ultimately,  this is the root of my problem.

I prefer to use a cordless IP phone through one of the modem / router Ethernet ports. It appears that my ISP requires that the IP phone have direct access to the ISP’s network in order to work. I am unable to bridge (I might be missing something) the VoIP VDSL connection to a specific LAN port for the IP phone to have direct access to the ISP and obtain an IP address using my SIP credentials. I have confirmed that the MAC address is not used during authentication but it seems that the ISP is filtering connections based on the IP subnet, hence the need for the IP phone to have direct access to the ISP. Essentially, I am looking to bridge each VDSL connection to a specific port:

Bridged Internet vid 10——— LAN1 port  (attached device obtains IP directly from ISP)

Bridged VoIP vid 11——— LAN2 port  (attached device obtains IP directly from ISP)

Bridged IPTV vid 12——— LAN3 port (attached device obtains IP directly from ISP)   

Is the VR900 VDSL modem capable of this? If so, that would be great instead of purchasing a managed switch and adding more hardware / hops to the network.

Options
1 Reply
Re:VR900: Bridging each VDSL Connection to a Specific LAN Port
2020-06-29 09:36:15

@hsnsky

Hi, for the three services which go through 3 LAN ports, we can easily achieve Internet VLAN and IPTV VLAN to LAN 1 and LAN 3.

But for the VoIP VLAN, we need to confirm the device which is connected to the VR900.

May I know the connection type of the cordless IP phone? It is RJ11 port or RJ45 port?

If it is RJ11 port,  the IP phone can't connect to the VR900 directly which doesn't support VoIP feature, either.

It should connect one device to transfer the RJ11 to the RJ45 connection, then you can connect this device to the VR900 and try to make the VoIP to LAN 2.

If it is RJ45 port, the IP phone can connect to the VR900 directly and you can try to make VoIP to LAN 2 by adding the bridge item, then setting the interface group, add this bridge item and this LAN port in the interface group together.

For the Internet VLAN to LAN 1, it is the same. You need to add the bridge item, set the interface group, add this bridge item and this LAN port in the interface group together.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 1