Security Concerns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Security Concerns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Security Concerns
Security Concerns
2020-07-09 20:06:51 - last edited 2020-07-14 07:58:57
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have just purchased and installed a new Tapo C200. I have concerns about security. I have noticed that I can access the camera outside home using the mobile data. Of course it can be a nice feature, but I am a bit concern because I do know how it works. I have a firewall at home and I only have access throw ssh (port 22). If I have access is because the camera has established a conexion to a server so the mobile app can have access to the camera. What is that server? How secure it is?  Is it possible to disable that conexion?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Security Concerns-Solution
2020-07-14 07:58:28 - last edited 2020-07-14 07:58:57

@luis.llana 

Hello,

Basically, the Tapo camera will be linked to the cloud server automatically when you add it on the Tapo app and there is no issue with the internet connection between your network and the cloud server. This is how a cloud camera works and it is quite convenient for you to view your camera and watch your home from an outside network.

Please don't worry, as data security is important to us and we understand that it is essential for your peace of mind. We use industry-standard AES 128-bit encryption with SSL/TLS to encrypt the camera data, ensuring your home security. Only the person who has your camera account and password or has the permission shared by the owner can access the camera, so camera data is safe. It is suggested to create a strong account password and never share it to anyone that you don't trust.

May it help and have a nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Security Concerns-Solution
2020-07-14 07:58:28 - last edited 2020-07-14 07:58:57

@luis.llana 

Hello,

Basically, the Tapo camera will be linked to the cloud server automatically when you add it on the Tapo app and there is no issue with the internet connection between your network and the cloud server. This is how a cloud camera works and it is quite convenient for you to view your camera and watch your home from an outside network.

Please don't worry, as data security is important to us and we understand that it is essential for your peace of mind. We use industry-standard AES 128-bit encryption with SSL/TLS to encrypt the camera data, ensuring your home security. Only the person who has your camera account and password or has the permission shared by the owner can access the camera, so camera data is safe. It is suggested to create a strong account password and never share it to anyone that you don't trust.

May it help and have a nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Security Concerns
2021-03-04 21:27:53

@Brook 

Is more detailed information about how the camera communicates with the cloud server available? Does the standard implementation use port forwarding? What version of TLS is used?

Thanks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2004

Replies: 2

Related Articles