TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Power Requirements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-09 22:04:48 - last edited 2020-07-22 05:42:18
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all

New here, not sure if anyone will know the answer but but I've got a question about the power requirements of my new TL-WR902AC.

Just some initial points:

• The router is supplied with a 5V / 2A USB power supply.
  • The bottom of the router states its power requirements as being 5V/2A
  • The router has a full size USB socket that is advertised as being able to provide 5V/2A to external devices

However, I was able to plug the routers USB power cable into a USB 1.1 socket on my Playstation 2 instead and it powered up.

It even powered a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra USB HDD that I had connected to the routers USB slot.

I beleive the USB socket on a PS2 is limited to about 550mA

Therefore, I am wondering if the router itself actually requires the 5V/2A from its power supply to operate as a router or if this power requirement/adapter is just to allow it to provide the advertised 5V/2A to external devices via its USB socket.

Not sure if that makes any sense but would anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Power Requirements-Solution
2020-07-22 05:41:59 - last edited 2020-07-22 05:42:18

@SteveRouter 

Hello,

Theoretically, the Wi-Fi routers offer a compact size with impressive performance, which as a result requires a sufficient power supply. It is not suggested to use a power supply that lower than the requirements, otherwise, the performance and stability are not guaranteed.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Power Requirements-Solution
2020-07-22 05:41:59 - last edited 2020-07-22 05:42:18

@SteveRouter 

Hello,

Theoretically, the Wi-Fi routers offer a compact size with impressive performance, which as a result requires a sufficient power supply. It is not suggested to use a power supply that lower than the requirements, otherwise, the performance and stability are not guaranteed.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-WR902AC Travel Router - Power Requirements
2020-07-22 13:41:00
thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2565

Replies: 2

Related Articles