Deco M5 - weak encryption warming on my iPhone and iPad

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-10 06:04:28 - last edited 2020-09-16 01:14:43
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Rel. 65392

on my Apple iDevices i get the message that the Deco M5 uses a weak encryption WPA/WPA2 (TKIP). In the specs of the Deco i see that EAS is not in the list of deported encryptions. Is this something we might expect in future releases of the product?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 - weak encryption warming on my iPhone and iPad-Solution
2020-09-16 01:14:35 - last edited 2020-09-30 02:42:29

Hello, thanks very much for your patiently waiting and support.

Our developers recently have provided a beta firmware for the Deco devices, which allows you to change the wireless security type for your Deco network, here is the download link if you are willing to update it:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662

Note: Ensure you are running the latest Deco app on your phone first, Android version 2.2.1, and iOS 2.2.2.

Let the community know if you have any inquiries, thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - weak encryption warming on my iPhone and iPad
2020-07-15 11:03:42 - last edited 2020-09-16 01:14:09

@Hoefnix 

Hello, thank you for bringing this up.

Currently, as you know, this feature to fix the security type is not available and we do receive some similar feedback. We have forwarded it to the related department and they can work on it. 

At the current stage, however, we cannot provide an exact ETA to our customers as the developers need to evaluate the feasibility to add new features and do round and round tests to ensure its performance. Most importantly, we cannot only add just one single feature in the new firmware release, thus a new firmware generally has multiple features added and bugs fixed to improve the performance of the whole mesh system. We believe that you guys need a new firmware that is more powerful and much more suitable for most requests but not to be our best testers.

Good day!

Options
Re:Deco M5 - weak encryption warming on my iPhone and iPad
2020-07-15 13:17:33 - last edited 2020-07-17 15:00:49
So, at the moment there are no plans ( and therefore no timetable ) for updating the firmware with a more contemporary security. "we cannot only add just one single feature in the new firmware release" I think you can; as a matter of fact, you actually did in the last release. The release-notes mentione 3 mods/bug-fixes but two were already in the previous release. So that release only had one bug-fix. I don't think that no-one would have a problem if the next release was only about updating WPA to current standards of security. Have a nice day
Options
Re:Deco M5 - weak encryption warming on my iPhone and iPad-Solution
2020-09-16 01:14:35 - last edited 2020-09-30 02:42:29

Hello, thanks very much for your patiently waiting and support.

Our developers recently have provided a beta firmware for the Deco devices, which allows you to change the wireless security type for your Deco network, here is the download link if you are willing to update it:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662

Note: Ensure you are running the latest Deco app on your phone first, Android version 2.2.1, and iOS 2.2.2.

Let the community know if you have any inquiries, thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1013

Replies: 3