Can the Deco P9 work with powerline only connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-14 14:04:21 - last edited 2020-07-24 02:57:14
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can the Deco P9 work with powerline only connection or it needs to be anyway in the wi-fi range of the other P9?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can the Deco P9 work with powerline only connection-Solution
2020-07-24 02:56:29 - last edited 2020-07-27 11:52:24

@Alexjj 

Hello all,

Sorry for my previous answer which is not precise.

What I mean is the Deco P9 should be in the Wi-Fi range of the other Deco before building up the mesh network and it doesn't support the powerline/PLC backhaul only in this stage. The PLC backhaul does work after successfully joining the mesh network and there is no need to stay in the Wi-Fi range of another.

PLC Backhaul and Wi-Fi Backhaul can work at the same time, however, PLC Backhaul and Ethernet Backhaul can’t.

Sorry about that.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Can the Deco P9 work with powerline only connection-Solution
2020-07-24 02:56:29 - last edited 2020-07-27 11:52:24

@Alexjj 

Hello all,

Sorry for my previous answer which is not precise.

What I mean is the Deco P9 should be in the Wi-Fi range of the other Deco before building up the mesh network and it doesn't support the powerline/PLC backhaul only in this stage. The PLC backhaul does work after successfully joining the mesh network and there is no need to stay in the Wi-Fi range of another.

PLC Backhaul and Wi-Fi Backhaul can work at the same time, however, PLC Backhaul and Ethernet Backhaul can’t.

Sorry about that.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can the Deco P9 work with powerline only connection
2020-07-24 21:55:40

@TP-Link_Deco This is stupid and should be fixed! I bought the P9 with powerline precisely because I have no way to get a wi-fi signal between the two Deco units, and so I have to rely on a powerline backhaul! You should fix this stupid limit ASAP, and also another thing that bugs me is the fact that in order to have the powerline backhaul feature active on Deco P9, the P9 should be the main deco, but in my case the main deco is connected to an Ethernet backhaul, that connects it to a second Deco, that instead needs the powerline backhaul to communicate with the third Deco!

Options
2020-07-25 08:10:26
Don't think this answer is correct please can you confirm.
Options
2020-07-25 08:12:17

@Alexjj have you tried it out, I'd suggest setting it up in WiFi range then moving the deco to where you need it.

Options
2020-07-25 14:43:21
Yes, I did this... set them up through the app when close to the main deco then moved them and they work well... I also have a house with very thick walls and no hope of a robust wifi mesh network but the powerline does seem to work fine. I just wish they sold these individually as I need another to reach the final part of the house...
Options
2020-12-05 15:19:44

@TP-Link_Deco 

Are there any plans to allow us to disable the wifi backhaul and only use the power line ??

Options
2020-12-07 11:12:21

@Rob6464 

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

Sorry there is no plan to disable the Wi-Fi backhaul and leave powerline backhaul only.

Wireless backhaul and powerline backhaul could take effect at the same time.

Normally, the powerline backhaul would have higher priority than the Wi-Fi backhaul.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2852

Replies: 7

Related Articles