Recently Installed Deco M9 Mesh, But Now Multi-Room Music Not Working On Alexa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-16 06:24:16 - last edited 2021-02-25 20:30:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey all,

Earlier yesterday I upgraded from the AC1900 to the M9 mesh system.  After several hours of re-adding all of my wireless devices under the new network, I was finally done.  Until... I noticed my multi-room music groups that I have saved on Alexa no longer sync together.  If I say "Alexa, play music upstairs" only some of the devices work.  They do not seem synced at all.  I varified theyre all on the same network, but still incredibly random which ones work and which ones don't.   Further, if I delete the groups and start over, not all of the Echo devices are visible to each other.  Incredibly weird and a problem I didn't have before the mesh network.  Any ideas?  Basically looking for anything the techies think I could try and adjust on the Deco app.  Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Recently Installed Deco M9 Mesh, But Now Multi-Room Music Not Working On Alexa-Solution
2020-12-30 20:35:16 - last edited 2021-02-25 20:30:22

@PresidentJoker 

Honestly guys,

This is the solution floating around the inter webs that seems to be the only thing that works - which is to set up a guest network, go on the app and only have 2.4 ghz toggled "on" that guest network, and connect every single one of your Alexa Echo devices to that guest 2.4 ghz network.  I've also read it helps to name your guest network something completely different that your main 2.4/5/5 ghz network - I did, but not sure how important this is.  

This will work for you 90% of the time.  Once in awhile certain echos will not play or "talk to" the other echos, and then you'll need to find that echo(s) and restart them (just unplug, wait 10 seconds..) and then they'll all start communicating and working together again.  Super annoying, but a very common problem with these mesh decos.  

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Recently Installed Deco M9 Mesh, But Now Multi-Room Music Not Working On Alexa
2020-07-17 07:22:36

@BMacAttack 

Hello,

Can you please provide the information mentioned below so that we can further analyze this issue and offer a solution?

1. How many Deco M9 Plus in your network and what is the current network diagram? What is the operation mode of the main Deco M9?

2. How about other devices, such as phones and computers, are they still visible in the network and working properly? 

3. What is the hardware version and firmware version of the Deco M9 Plus? Please ensure the firmware is up-to-date.

BTW, what is the model number of the old AC1900 router?

4. When you say "Alexa, play music upstairs", is there any error message on your Alexa devices? What are those Alexa devices?

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:Recently Installed Deco M9 Mesh, But Now Multi-Room Music Not Working On Alexa
2020-12-15 21:37:55

@TP-Link_Deco 

I'm having the same problem with Alexa multi-room music.

The issue seen on Alexa is "Device Unreachable Error" during Multi-Room Music Set up.  I've powered everything off and then back on. Reconnected to the Wifi. All devices are on latest software version.  Upon setup all devices show Online to the same network. Once I select one of the devices, some of the other devices display Network Error and grey out and can not be selected. 

I have the AC4000 as a router along with the Deco M9 Plus mesh. 3 Deco M9 Plus units are distributed throughout my home in Access Point mode all hardwired to router via a TP-Link switch (TL-SG1008D). The AC4000 is set to Router mode and "Smart Connect" so SSIDs are the same for 2.4 and 5g. When the Deco's are powered off I can setup multi-room audio on Alexa without issue however as soon as I power on the Deco's some of the Alexa Echo's attach to the Deco's and I experience the issues.  Itt appears the Echos on the Decos can not talk to each other and believe they are on different networks.

When everything is using the AC4000 it works. It also works echos on 2.4, 5g-1 and others on 5g-2 so it does not appear to be a band. Once the Deco M9 Plus is introduced the issue occurs.

All the Echo's work other then the multi-room feature. They can access internet for weather and all other features requiring internet. All phones, computers, network based thermostats all work as expected when Deco's are active.

Deco M9 Plus Firmware: 1.2.12 Build 20191014 Rel. 42025

AC4000 v3.0 Firmware: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(5553)

Tom

Options
2020-12-16 02:03:58 - last edited 2020-12-16 02:26:19

@tcounts 

Good day,

We would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box later.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. please turn off the fast roaming , beam forming on the Deco APP;

2. please disable the Mesh Technology on the Amazon Alexa devices;

3.please update the Deco M9 plus to be the latest firmware:

Deco M9 Plus(US)_V2_200921

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202010/20201009/Deco%20M9%20Plus_V2_200921.zip

By the way, Is the AC4000, Archer C4000, or something else?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-28 03:34:50 - last edited 2021-01-05 04:18:17

@BMacAttack 

Multi-room tonos de llamada is great as it allows you to play the same song on all Echo devices. You can even throw a party and fill the room with all the Echo smart speakers playing together.

The set is quite simple and you can enjoy a stereo experience if you only have two speakers. This setting is a bit different from many general rooms, and we included it as well.

Options
2020-12-30 15:31:54 - last edited 2021-02-25 20:30:34
I have 4x M9s and 4x Amazon Alexa's (3x gen 3 and 1x new gen 4). I'm having the Exact same problem and I've tried everything, even linking them all to the same deco in the same room... The Alexa app still keeps saying every device is on its own network...
Options
Re:Recently Installed Deco M9 Mesh, But Now Multi-Room Music Not Working On Alexa-Solution
2020-12-30 20:35:16 - last edited 2021-02-25 20:30:22

@PresidentJoker 

Honestly guys,

This is the solution floating around the inter webs that seems to be the only thing that works - which is to set up a guest network, go on the app and only have 2.4 ghz toggled "on" that guest network, and connect every single one of your Alexa Echo devices to that guest 2.4 ghz network.  I've also read it helps to name your guest network something completely different that your main 2.4/5/5 ghz network - I did, but not sure how important this is.  

This will work for you 90% of the time.  Once in awhile certain echos will not play or "talk to" the other echos, and then you'll need to find that echo(s) and restart them (just unplug, wait 10 seconds..) and then they'll all start communicating and working together again.  Super annoying, but a very common problem with these mesh decos.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-30 20:42:11

@BMacAttack 

oh.. also, have "fast roaming" disabled.  No idea why this is necessary, but it is.  

Follow this and the steps in the previous post, and multiroom music should work on your Alexa devices!

Options
2021-02-25 19:49:34

@TP-Link 

I had the same problem with Multi Google Home devices.  This solution worked for those devices as well.

Thanks

Options
2021-04-13 07:22:06 - last edited 2021-04-16 01:42:42

@BMacAttack I have downloaded the playlist on my mobile phone. 

Use additional free phone ringtone services at the website  https://sonneriefrance.com/

Options
2022-01-15 03:33:44

@BMacAttack thanks for your comment, download free ringtones now access

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3416

Replies: 14

Related Articles