Deco M5 unable to form a 'star network' ethernet backhaul properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-23 06:02:06 - last edited 2020-07-24 00:24:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

My Deco setup is configured using ethernet cables this way:

Internet modem --- Deco 1 (router mode; main deco) --- tp-link TL-SG108 switch --- Deco 2

l------ Deco 3

Issue(s)

Deco 2 is connected to Deco 1's wifi backhaul, instead of Deco 1's ethernet backhaul

Deco 3 is connected to Deco 2's ethernet backhaul, instead of Deco 1's ethernet backhaul

Appreciate your help on this!

Ports and cables have been tested OK when it is configured as:

Internet modem --- tp-link Archer C9 --- tp-link TL-SG108 switch --- Deco 1 (ap mode; main deco)

l------ Deco 2

l------ Deco 3

Deco 2 is connected to Deco 1's ethernet backhaul [OK]

Deco 3 is connected to Deco 1's ethernet backhaul [OK]

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5 unable to form a 'star network' ethernet backhaul properly
2020-07-23 07:11:46

@homeunwired 

Hello,

Basically, both of the two network layouts are fine and the Ethernet Backhaul should take effect without an issue. Can you please check again in layout 1 that whether it is the Deco app doesn't refresh successfully? Please try to restart all the Decos as well as the switch, then refresh on the Deco app multiple times to confirm again?

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-23 15:52:51 - last edited 2020-07-24 00:24:34

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for the advice.

However, neither restarting the Deco & switch, nor refreshing the app helped the situation.

I have also tried swapping the ports on the Deco & on the switch , but to no avail.

Other points I noticed are:

1. all other devices connected to the switch, connect to Deco 2 for internet source instead of Deco 1.

2. if I switch off Deco 2, Deco 3 will be connected to Deco 1's wifi backhaul, instead of Deco 1's ethernet backhaul.

Could this be due to limitations on the tp-link TL-SG108 switch, that blocks Deco 1's routed out connectivity?

Reference layout

Internet modem --- Deco 1 (router mode; main deco) --- tp-link TL-SG108 switch --- Deco 2

l------ Deco 3

Issue(s)

Deco 2 is connected to Deco 1's wifi backhaul, instead of Deco 1's ethernet backhaul

Deco 3 is connected to Deco 2's ethernet backhaul, instead of Deco 1's ethernet backhaul

Options
2020-07-24 06:07:41

@homeunwired 

Hello, sorry about that.

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-07-24 06:22:26

@TP-Link_Deco  thank you! Look forward to the assistance.

Options
2021-02-05 14:40:26

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, I have the same problem whereby M5 is not able to recognize it is on ethernet backhaul.

My network setup is as follow:

Internet modem --- Deco 1 (router mode; main deco) --- Netgear GS310TP --- Deco 2

I    L---- Synology NAS DS213j

L------- PoE powered IP Camera

Deco 2 shows its signal source is Deco 1.

Netgear Managed Switch GS310TP, NAS DS213j, and IP Camera show up as Deco 2's connected clients.

Deco 1 is connected to Port 1 of Netgear Managed Switch.

Deco 2 is connected to Port 2 of Netgear Managed Switch.

I followed this article "How to extend guest network when there is a switch between Decos" when configuring the Managed Switch.

I tagged Port 1 & 2 as VLAN 591 

https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/2317/

Netgear GS310TP is a managed switch

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS310TP.aspx

Please assist.

Thank you.

Options
2021-02-07 06:38:20

@YiBien 

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

Did you mean that on the Deco 2, it showed wireless backhaul, and the signal source is main Deco, right?

Or even though It showed Ethernet backhaul, Netgear Managed Switch GS310TP, NAS DS213j, and IP Camera showed up as Deco 2's connected clients?

If it is the first one, since I did not see IEEE 1905.1 compatibility(which is used to set up the Ethernet backhaul) mentioned on the user manual of Netgear switches,  it might fail to forward the Ethernet backhaul packets to Deco 2;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1972

Replies: 6