Archer VR600 v2 + Forticlient VPN = no internet access over wifi link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-23 17:23:25 - last edited 2020-08-30 08:24:55
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0

Dear all,

I recently bought an Archer VR600 (v2) with the following specs:

Hardware Version:Archer VR600 v2 00000000

Firmware Version:0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 170504 Rel.68210n

From work, we are now forced to use FortiClient free software for VPN access to work computers.

When I dial up the VPN via a wired connection (e.g. my desktop PC), all works fine.

However, when I dial up the VPN via a wifi connection (e.g. on my laptop), internet connection STILL works (I can check that the DSL link is alive and kicking from inside the modem admin panel) but the laptop shows an internet disconnection at the task tray. And indeed no up or down traffic ensues.

a) Over my mobile phone's 4G connection the laptop + forticlient works fine. So, it's not my laptop's wifi the problem.

b) All proper Firewall and NAT settings are by default enabled, e.g. L2TP passthrough, IPSec passthrough, etc. (but I don't see any SSL or VPN passthrough?)

But it clear to me that when on a wifi link, VPN traffic is shunted from my laptop.

Can you please advise how can I solve this? It feels to me like a firmware bug related to the wifi settings of the modem. (e.g. Could it be that VPN port forwarding does not happen successfully when connecting via a wifi device to the modem?)

Kind regards.

Chris

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer VR600 v2 + Forticlient VPN = no internet access over wifi link-Solution
2020-08-15 19:43:29 - last edited 2020-08-30 08:24:55

@Sunshine thank you for the interest. TL;TR I side-stepped the problem by re-installing W10.

Let me answer in detail for posterity reasons in this forum.

1) all wireless was effectively down but the funny bit was that when connecting to the admin page of the modem, dsl connection was shown to be active and working.

2) yes.

3) no, i haven't as i found other posts on the web complaining about new bugs introduced in newer versions of the firmware.

In conclusion, it appears this was a software problem in Windows 10, since after formatting, everything worked like a charm.

It seems that (having to use 2-3 different VPN s/w for various work-related tasks), there was a conflict among one or more of the VPN software and/or the WiFi drivers of the computer.

In any case, I apologize for taking up your time. I post this here in the hopes that it helps other members. For the record, I have been using VR600v2 for 2+ months now and it seems to be an _excellent_ modem, with superior characteristics, excellent performance and very user-friendly interfaces. I highly recommend it.

best regards and thank you all,

chris

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR600 v2 + Forticlient VPN = no internet access over wifi link
2020-08-04 12:02:21

@chrisTP 

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Did you still have the same issue about the VPN service on the wireless network of the VR600?

If yes, may I ask the following information

1. When the PC showed an internet disconnection at the task tray, did other devices connected to the Wi-Fi of VR600 could get internet, or would all the wireless clients be effected?
  2. If you temporally disabled the VPN connection, would computer get internet at once?
  3. Since there are some newer firmware released recently, have you ever tried to updated the firmware to see if that helped?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr600/v2/#Firmware

Thank you for your cooperation.

Options
Re:Archer VR600 v2 + Forticlient VPN = no internet access over wifi link-Solution
2020-08-15 19:43:29 - last edited 2020-08-30 08:24:55

@Sunshine thank you for the interest. TL;TR I side-stepped the problem by re-installing W10.

Let me answer in detail for posterity reasons in this forum.

1) all wireless was effectively down but the funny bit was that when connecting to the admin page of the modem, dsl connection was shown to be active and working.

2) yes.

3) no, i haven't as i found other posts on the web complaining about new bugs introduced in newer versions of the firmware.

In conclusion, it appears this was a software problem in Windows 10, since after formatting, everything worked like a charm.

It seems that (having to use 2-3 different VPN s/w for various work-related tasks), there was a conflict among one or more of the VPN software and/or the WiFi drivers of the computer.

In any case, I apologize for taking up your time. I post this here in the hopes that it helps other members. For the record, I have been using VR600v2 for 2+ months now and it seems to be an _excellent_ modem, with superior characteristics, excellent performance and very user-friendly interfaces. I highly recommend it.

best regards and thank you all,

chris

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1639

Replies: 2

Related Articles