Multiple Access Point Configuration w/ Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-24 13:42:42 - last edited 2020-07-30 04:18:45

Purchased the 3 pack of Deco M4's.  I have multiple hardwired ethernet connections throughout my home and want to use them to distribute wifi, being able to roam without any disconnects, or having to manually switch networks.  I presume I want to connect the M4's to the ethernet, but I'm not sure how they should be set up...

Do I create a new and separate network for each of M4's with the same SSID and password, or do I create a new network for one of the M4's, and then from within that network add the other 2 M4's with all of them having the same SSID and password?

I don't (think) I want/need the M4's to connect wirelessly to each other - I want them to use the bandwidth of the hardwired connection to distribute the wifi signal.  Also no need to connect any of the M4's directly to my router, right?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple Access Point Configuration w/ Ethernet-Solution
2020-07-30 04:17:42 - last edited 2020-07-30 04:18:45

@rockwood 

Hello,

Is it possible to give me a simple network diagram that how would you like to install these 3 Decos? On the same floor or on different floors? Basically, the Deco devices can build up a mesh network with Ethernet backhaul, which will be helpful to improve wireless performance.

It is suggested to add them in the same mesh network and you may set up the mesh network like below:

Modem > main Deco (router mode) -- Ethernet -- Deco 2

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 3

If there is already a router in front, you may configure below:

Modem > existing router -- Ethernet -- Deco 1

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 2

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 3

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Multiple Access Point Configuration w/ Ethernet-Solution
2020-07-30 04:17:42 - last edited 2020-07-30 04:18:45

@rockwood 

Hello,

Is it possible to give me a simple network diagram that how would you like to install these 3 Decos? On the same floor or on different floors? Basically, the Deco devices can build up a mesh network with Ethernet backhaul, which will be helpful to improve wireless performance.

It is suggested to add them in the same mesh network and you may set up the mesh network like below:

Modem > main Deco (router mode) -- Ethernet -- Deco 2

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 3

If there is already a router in front, you may configure below:

Modem > existing router -- Ethernet -- Deco 1

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 2

\-- Ethernet -- Deco 3

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 418

Replies: 1

Related Articles