AC1750/RE450 Not Syncing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC1750/RE450 Not Syncing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AC1750/RE450 Not Syncing
AC1750/RE450 Not Syncing
2020-07-25 14:55:07
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

I originally had one AC1750/RE450 extender ( V1) in my home. This allowed me to get a strong Wifi signal in my conservatory.

Aftre changing from TalkTalk to Vodafone THG3000 router, I found the signal was now too weak, so purchased a second AC1750 to act as intermediary between the two.

Previously, the V1 could be set up using the front panel buttons which allowed me seamless WiFi.

Since purchasing a second AC1750 (V3) I have had to install the app on my phone to get them both set up and working.

I have set them all up to use the same name and password as my router in the belief that I can get WiFi all about my house without having to keep switching.

I now find that the WiFi signal is strong (according to my signal strength app) but I lose the WiFi connection when moving between rooms.

I now have to manually stop the WiFi then restart in another room in order to get WiFi back.

This needs to be done on two Samsung phones, but the Samsung tablet is always having problems, constantly advising there is no signal when both phones are working and even when lying next to the router!

I also note that both units often turn red, which indicates a loss of signal, even though nothing has moved. I am beginning to suspect my router is faulty.

So how do I get the entire WiFi network to work as one network without having to keep stopping and starting the devices WiFi with a full strength signal?

Options
8 Reply
Re:AC1750/RE450 Not Syncing
2020-07-27 05:10:50

@AnnieBody 

Hi, for your issue, I would like to share my suggestions.

Since you have already bought two range extenders and want to extend the Wi-Fi signal in your whole house, you'd better take the below topology for better performance:

Extender 1)))(((Router)))(((Extender 2))) Rather than the topology such as: Router)))(((Extender 1)))(((Extender 2)))

The two extenders should both connect the router's Wi-Fi to extend.

Then, you need to make sure the main router is working stably.

When the both units turn red, you can stand next to the two extenders with your phone and check the signal from the main router on your phone.

How many bars of the signal when the phone is connected to the main router? Does the phone have internet?

The both units turn red, which indicates the signal from the main router is weak.

Since the extender should get good signal from the main router first, then performs well and extends Wi-Fi.

Please take the above topology to check if the issue happens again. 

If it happens again, please let me know the position and distance between the router and extender in detail.

If the extender can work well when you put the extender more closely to the main router.

Hope this answer can help you.

Have a nice day!

Options
2020-07-27 19:11:24

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply.

I don't need whole house WiFi just in my conservatory.

This worked with the TalkTalk router but not with the Vodafone.

As the signal is much lower from the Vodafone routre I have used a second extender between the two.

The signal strength is in the 90s (out of 100) in my conservatory.

It is not the strength that is the issue it is the discontinuity of the WiFi service andf the need to manaully disconncet then reconncet which I never had to do with the initial one extender system.

One button activation used to work. It appears that having to set up useing an overcomplicated app is the problem.

How do I know that both extenders are using the same network?

How do I know that both extenders are using the same password?

This infromation was never required to be setup with the intial extender.

Why do I need to disconnect and reconnect of both extenders are using the same WiFi signal?

Why don't two extenders provide a continuity of service?

Options
2020-07-30 02:13:30

@AnnieBody 

Hi, we fully understand your disappointed mood.

We know that the dropping issue is very frustrating, and we will also try our best to identify the issue and help you solve it.

Your current topology is Vodafone router ))) (((RE450 1))) ((( RE450 2

May I know the distance between router and RE450 1, RE450 2 and RE450 1?

Can I know how you set up the two range extenders? By pressing WPS button?

If so, the two extenders will have the same Wi-Fi name as the router.

Note: The extender will share the same Wi-Fi password as the router. But for the Wi-Fi name of the extender, it can be changed.

Can you unplug the two extenders to check if the main router can provide the stable connection?

When the dropping internet issue happens, can you check the lights' status on both extenders in detail.

Can you connect the extender's Wi-Fi and follow the instruction to check the IP address, gateway on your devices? https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

Look forward to your reply.

Options
2020-08-05 15:20:49

I regret I am unable to move my router due to it being hard wired to my fibre box! This situation is what extenders were created for!

If the router could be moved to the position to strengthen the signal at a required point there would be no requirement for having/requiring extenders in the first place?

It appears the extenders are swapping the channels about in an apparently random fashion and for no reason that I can see.

With the blue light on the signal strength is high but the channel changes on the extender then the light changes to red and the signal drops on the mobile devices.

I thought, being extenders, they would stick with the original signal/channel from the router then boost that signal.

If I fix the router to say channel 100 only, the extenders are repeating on channels 3 and 6. I think this random channel hopping is the problem.

Both extenders are using different channels to the router. I believe they are getting muddled by the fact that two extenders are both independently switching channels and they are constantly trying to catch up with each other.

If I move from the room with the router on channel 100 with a strong signal, then go into a room with a strong signal on a different channel, the device needs to be resynced with the new channel. Its the resyncing that is the problem.

If I place both extenders adjacent to the router I get channel signals jumping about like crazy and yet the signal strength is 100%.

So how do I set the extenders to just boost the signal they receive by remaining on the same channel as the source and never changing when the received signal is strong, or for that matter, when it is weak (which it won't be when they synchronise).

Options
2020-08-05 15:28:45

@AnnieBody 

As a follow up...

If I turn off both extenders the signal in my conservatory drops to 15%, but, and this is the crux, I never have to resync any of my devices. NEVER!

This is how WiFi should be.

It would appear that extenders are either not working due to the setup, software bugs or not being fit for purpose.

Options
2020-08-07 10:12:48

@AnnieBody 

As a second follow up, which appear will never be responded to:

I turn of both extenders.

Turn on #1 then reset and carry out setup again.

I now have two wifi signals: router + router_ext.

I can (and have to) manually switch between the two when moving around.

Router signal reduces as I move away from the router and as router_ext increases.

Reset #1 and carry out setup again.

This time I name the extender the same as my router: router + router.

This implies I have the same Wifi signal covering a larger area.

Router signal reduces as I move away from the router awith no increase as I approach the extender.

As no one from TP-Link appears to give a toss about resolving this issue, I have to assume the extenders are not frt for purpose as wifi extenders.

I shall now look for an alternative tfroma manufacturuer t hat knows how to exnetnd wifi effectively.

Options
2020-09-08 18:18:10

@AnnieBody 

It would appear that despite the claims of TP-LInk I cannot do what they have previously advised I could.

As confirmed by TP-LInk technical support:

1. The RE450 extender is just that. You can only use one extender connected to a router with the same SSID. You cannot use a second to increase the

a range of the first extender using the same SSID.

2. The extenders should have individual SSIDs or else they interfere with the router signal strength and with each other.

3. In order to keep the devices on the one SSID you would needa ONeMesh compatible router and OneMesh compatible extenders.

4. There are currently no TP-LInk devices that will do this with Vodafone Gigafast pure fibre compatibilty. So the devises are only backward technology compatible.

5. TP-Link have suggested devices will be updated, but this mainly appears to be for USA purcahses. There are no equivalent UK updates forseeable.

6. Instead of waiting for TP-Link to play catch up, both Netgear and Asus offer systems (there may be more) with OneMesh equivalent system compatible devices.

Options
2020-09-11 03:48:44

@AnnieBody 

Hello Annie,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

We feel sorry that RE450 is not good enough to be fit for purpose.

And we have some mesh Devices, such as Deco series products for your reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/

As for the Onemesh capability,  till now, even the US version did not have the plan to add OneMesh on the RE450 yet.

(I also replied to you on another thread.)

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1524

Replies: 8

Related Articles