Deco M5 - Internet Slower When On Slave Nodes?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-02 12:54:09 - last edited 2020-08-03 01:55:17
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Here is my current configuration of my Deco M5:

Deco Locations

1st Floor (Main Deco, Living Room)

1st Floor (2nd Deco, Bedroom)

2nd Floor (3rd Deco, Bedroom)

Deco Connection

Main Deco ←2nd Deco ←3rd Deco

Our connection used to be 30 Mbps (lol), and when I do a speedtest in the living room using the Main Deco, and in the 2nd floor bedroom using the 3rd Deco, I usually get 27-29 Mbps, sometimes full speed at 30 Mbps. Same speed regardless of location. So no problem at all, I'm assuming that all Decos are in the right locations. 

HOWEVER... when our internet speed was upgraded to 100 Mbps, I'm getting around 98 Mbps in the living room, but only 27-29 Mbps (usually less) in the 2nd floor bedroom! 😩

I've read somewhere that the more hops, the slower your internet will be. But why isn't this the case when my internet was at 30 Mbps only? Why the big loss when at 100 Mbps? How can I solve this problem? Has anyone experienced this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Internet Slower When On Slave Nodes?
2020-08-03 09:25:40

@DiceKey 

Hello,

May I know what is the speed you can get when connected to the 2nd Deco, is it normal?

What is the distance between the three Deco units? You may try to relocate the 3rd Deco on the 2nd floor and ensure it is getting a good signal from the 1st floor.

Please refer to the below troubleshooting guide to narrow down the speed issue on the satellite Deco:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2429/

Thanks.

Options
Re:Deco M5 - Internet Slower When On Slave Nodes?
2020-08-03 10:16:04

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for your reply. 

The 2nd Deco gets about 75-80 Mbps from the Main Deco. Since the 2nd Deco is in a room, they are separated by a concrete wall. They are about 8 meters apart. (According to the Deco app, it is connected to the Main Deco with 3 out of 4 bars signal strength.)

The 3rd Deco on the second floor is separated by a concrete floor, but it is directly above the 2nd Deco, so it has a full signal strength of 3 out of 3 bars. 

So I'm assuming that because of these 2 hops, along with a slightly weaker signal between the Main Deco and the 2nd Deco, my internet loses speed. 

I've tried positioning the 2nd Deco outside the room to get a full signal from the Main Deco. However, the 3rd Deco connects to the Main Deco (with only a signal strength of 1 out of 3 bars), and it doesn't connect to the 2nd Deco. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 2

Related Articles