Can I add my old Netgear router to my new TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-04 08:06:57 - last edited 2020-08-07 11:48:49
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20200628 Rel. 48846

I was using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router for my home. However, this router obviously had range limitations so far as my house is concerned. So, I decided to change the setup to a WiFi Mesh set-up with a view to have full coverage in the house, graden and garage. I got a TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh with 3 units. All configurations were smooth and I got it up and running in no time. I was then wondering what do I do with my Nighthawk router? The router can be configured in a router, Access Point, Bridge or Wireless repeater mode.

Can I add the old router as another "node" in the mesh? Is it possible? Alternately can I configure my old router in Bridge or repeater mode to extend the coverage of the Deco M4 mesh? If so, how do I do it? I dont wish to physically connect the old router to either the Deco M4 Main router or the ISP modem since the distance is long and putting in an ethernet cable will be impractical and will not look nice.

Any suggestions please? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I add my old Netgear router to my new TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh?-Solution
2020-08-07 11:48:28 - last edited 2020-08-07 11:48:49

@atul1008 

Hello,

Yes, you can connect the old Netgear Nighthawk R7000 to the Deco network via Wi-Fi to extend the Wi-Fi range, and Deco will act like a normal router to provide internet to those devices.

However, Deco can't build a mesh network with those non-Deco devices. The Deco Mesh is the technology only used on TP-Link Deco products for the Mesh network.

If you want to add the R7000 to extend the Deco wireless network, please try to configure it in bridge or repeater mode. If you are not sure how to do that, it is suggested to contact the Netgear support for some suggestions.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I add my old Netgear router to my new TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh?-Solution
2020-08-07 11:48:28 - last edited 2020-08-07 11:48:49

@atul1008 

Hello,

Yes, you can connect the old Netgear Nighthawk R7000 to the Deco network via Wi-Fi to extend the Wi-Fi range, and Deco will act like a normal router to provide internet to those devices.

However, Deco can't build a mesh network with those non-Deco devices. The Deco Mesh is the technology only used on TP-Link Deco products for the Mesh network.

If you want to add the R7000 to extend the Deco wireless network, please try to configure it in bridge or repeater mode. If you are not sure how to do that, it is suggested to contact the Netgear support for some suggestions.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8964

Replies: 1