FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to separately enable/disable WiFi/PLC backhaul on Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to separately enable/disable WiFi/PLC backhaul on Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-07 18:38:00 - last edited 2020-08-07 18:44:09
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 20200513 Rel 52023

Hello,

I recently bought 5 Deco P9 units to cover a large home.  I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the devices prefer WiFi AND PLC backhaul by default (see attached image), even if a specific Deco device barely has a WiFi connection to the Main Deco.  This results in very poor performance (150Mbit in the main deco unit plugged into the main router, 30Mbit in the secondary devices.)

This is highly disappointing, since the main reason I spent on these devices was for their promise of relying on PowerLine to distribute my Internet connection.

Is there a way to disable WiFi backhaul altogether?  Please advise.

Thank you!

P.S.: I did tested the devices with different power plugs throughout the house, to no avail.

The Main Deco is plugged directly into a TP-Link Archer C6 (ethernet).

The Decos are configured in Access point mode, which should result in a star network set-up.

All the other Decos are plugged in throughout the house, in close enough proximity (as much as I've tried, I could not get them to be out of WiFi range from one another).

This problem seems related to https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/189518

Options
14 Reply
Re:FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to separately enable/disable WiFi/PLC backhaul on Deco P9
2020-08-08 06:03:10

There seems to be an ability to disable WiFi backhaul in the Deco's config files, however, telnetting into the router seems to no longer work in firmware version 1.1.0.

Options
Re:FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to separately enable/disable WiFi/PLC backhaul on Deco P9
2020-10-31 07:23:13

Bump! This needs to be enabled stat. I have a sliver of a wifi signal between P9 units and the backhaul keeps jacking up as a result. Fix this please. 

Options
2020-10-31 09:05:57

Any updates on the development of this request?

Options
2020-11-26 14:49:01
I also need this feature. I would like to choose which backhall is being used
Options
2021-01-24 06:21:46

@TP-Link_Deco

Shameless bump for this overdue request. 

Options
2021-01-24 09:25:21
The speed you've screenshotted is realtime usage, not speed testing. Do you have any speed tests (like www.speedtest.net) from devices through the satellite?
Options
2021-01-24 15:19:44

@richpriest 

that's off topic and besides the point. We are asking for the ability to turn off WiFi back haul to allow only powerline backhaul. Anything other than a status update for this request is 0% useful. 

Options
2021-05-24 10:00:18

TP-LINK are you going to take your customers seriously?

I am very disappointed in the low quality of support;  I also opened a support case and am getting no response.

These devices were very expensive and are not solving my problem.   It is very clear that other customers are having the exact same problem.

This experience is putting me off from ever buying a TP-LINK device again...

Options
2021-05-25 03:07:02

@M1B 

Hi, Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Currently, it is not supported to turn off the wireless backhaul;

As for the support ticket, We will have a check with the local support team later to see what happened;

If you would like to spend a little more time, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers directly for further assistance.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following issue:

1.What is the operation mode on the Deco P9, wireless router, or access point?

2.Can I have a picture of the floor map about the Deco system and please also help me mark out their location as well as distance;

3.The reason you wish to disable the wi-fi backhaul is the slow speed on satellite Deco, right?

--Did all the 4 satellite Deco units have weak Wi-Fi backhaul and slow speed?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-05-25 08:17:14
pls sort this product out. troubleshooting data paths is impossible when a/ you can't turn wifi off independently of powerline b/ there's no detailed monitoring of devices and their P9 association. As the real-time viewing of network activity is pretty much meaningless (there's absolutely *no way* of knowing if what you're viewing on the app is 'active' or just frozen/paused) Some performance stats for the P9s and connected devices would help inordinately. if you can't control P9s independently of 'each other' from the app interface how can effective troubleshooting be performed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4165

Replies: 14