TP-Link Archer AX50 + Hyperoptic: I struggle to configure IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-08 10:34:37
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hi.

I struggle to configure IPv6 on my router.

I am sure my ISP supports IPv6, because it worked just fine on stock routed supplied by ISP.

Confuguration details from Hyperoptic.

1. Navigate to WAN interface section of router web GUI
  2. Select dual stack option for WAN interface (IPv4/IPv6)
  3. For address/prefix source select DHCPv6 (not static option)
  4. Enable prefix delegation (PD)
  5. Select SLAAC for IPv6 address creation method

Source: https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts/static-ip-addresses/

This is my configuration:

By following ISP instructioons (+ all other variations of it that I googled) I am unable to obtain IPv6.

I will really appreciate a technical support from TP-Link team, as the Hyperoptic team is not too supportive when it comes to third party routers.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Options
13 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer AX50 + Hyperoptic: I struggle to configure IPv6
2020-08-10 06:00:09

@pawelgrzybek 

Hello,

Below are some instructions to set up an IPv6 connection on the wireless router:
How to set up an IPv6 Internet connection on the Wi-Fi Routers

If the connection still fails, please ensure you have activated the IPv6 service with your Hyperoptic line and all the IPv6 parameters are correct, then verify the information as below:
1. What is your network topology, is it Hyperoptic modem--AX50?
2. Is the IPv4 connection on the AX50 good or not? What is the WAN IP address of it?
3. Is the IPv6 connection type the same as IPv4?

Thanks.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-08-14 09:15:31

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I checked FAQ about setting up IPv6. Non of the advices there solved my problem.

1. Hyperoptic gave me ZTE ZXHN H298N wich is extremally limited in therms of configuration, thats why I decided to but TP-Link product.

2. Overall connection speed is great. IP is 100.69.62.70.

3. I am not sure how to answer your question. I am not a networking guru. Literally I just wanted to make IPv6 work as it worked before on ISP router.

Thanks

Options
2020-08-14 12:04:21

@pawelgrzybek 

I got this to work just now after browsing various forums and Reddit posts.

Hardware/ISP: TP Link Archer C2300 and Hyperoptic

Config / Settings: All of the settings in your original screenshots, with the following changes:

DNS Address: Click "Use the following DNS Addresses"

Primary DNS: Input 2606:4700:4700::1111

Secondary DNS: Input 2606:4700:4700::1001

I clicked Renew and it's showing an IPv6 Address on the Router Settings screen.

I also tested on test-ipv6.com and it's now showing my IPv6 address.

Hope this helps!

Options
2020-08-14 15:42:20

@AncientSquash thank you for your advice. It didn't work in my case. I have no clue what is going on, tried everything :(

Options
2020-08-14 16:10:35

@pawelgrzybek 

May be worth giving it a reboot then hitting release then renew? It took a few minutes but then the IPv6 appeared.

Options
2020-09-05 14:43:15

Hi.

Apparently there is a pice of software that needed to be installed manually by the TP-Link to make it work. One of the Reddit users told me about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hyperoptic/comments/gcn9iy/ipv6_on_tplink_ax50_with_hyperoptic/fpjbbdq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Can I have some more details on this one. Clearly the problem is on the TP-Link side :( 

Options
2021-08-28 16:28:46 - last edited 2021-08-28 16:35:04

@pawelgrzybek I know this is an old post, but I'm posting this here in case anyone else encounters this problem and wants to get IPv6 working on Hyperoptic with a TP-Link AX series router (I have the AX20).

I tried all the steps above, finally I found a combination that worked for me:

1. Internet Connection Type: Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6)
  2. Get IPv6 Address: Non-Address
  3. Prefix Delegation: Enabled
  4. DNS Address: Use the Following DNS Addresses (2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001).

IPv6 LAN

1. Assigned Type: SLAAC+Stateless DHCP

I also cloned my Hyperoptic MAC address, but I don't think this is necessary.

WITH THESE SETTINGS THE IPv6 ADDRESS WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED IN THE TP-LINK ADMIN PAGE!

You can test the IPv6 address is assigned by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ or https://ipv6-test.com/ (or any one of the many other IP test websites).

Options
2021-08-30 08:01:28

@aturfer 

So do you mean the IPv6 to Hyperoptic is actually working but the IPv6 address doesn't show up on the AX20 Status page? Can we have a screenshot of it?

As far as I know, this issue should have been addressed already on the latest firmware, you can check this article:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2942/

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-08-30 11:24:36 - last edited 2021-08-30 11:30:10

@Kevin_Z I have an AX20 (version 1.0) with the latest firmware installed (Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20210524 rel.40909(4555)).

I did come across that article but it didn't work for me. On my AX20, it's impossible to choose "PPPoE" and to tick the "Share the same PPPoE session with IPv4". Once I select PPPoE, the "Share the same PPPoE session with IPv4" checkbox gets grayed out, and username and password inputs appear:

The screenoshot of my current set up are in my previous post. As can be seen, it shows the DNS servers I selected, but not the IPv6 address I am assigned:

Here's a screenshot from ipv6-test.com showing I have IPv6 working:

Options
2021-08-31 09:49:39

@aturfer 

Thanks again for the screenshots. If you cannot enable the "Share the same PPPoE session with IPv4", I guess that is because the IPv4 connection type on the AX20 is Dynamic IP, can you confirm? 

Just to be sure, does Hyperoptic provide you Dynamic IP or it provides both Dynamic IP and PPPoE, and you can pick up from either of them? When we publish FAQ 2942, I remember Hyperoptic provides PPPoE.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4655

Replies: 13

Related Articles