Hs200 issue with multiple switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-10 18:04:00

My issue is I installed 2 switches. Both single pole. I got them both to load and show up on my app. The issue is when I turn on the switch on my master bath it turns on the switch in my hall bath also. Does it from the switch or from the app. If I turn the hall bath switch on it doesn't turn the master on. I'm an electrician and have been doing this for 30 years but these wifi switches are a new thing for me. Anyone have an idea?  Both baths are on the same electrical circuit but I don't think that should matter. My brother has 20+ of these switches and plugs and doesn't have this isdue

Options
11 Reply
Re:Hs200 issue with multiple switches
2020-08-10 18:23:04
Definitely a wiring problem. The single pole switch is a simple single pole relay that replaces the old switch. Line in powers the switch (through neutral) and is switched by the relay to load out. If it's activating anything else it's a mixup of line/load or possibly a misuse of neutral - sounds like you've wired the tp link load out into the line in of the downstream bathroom.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-08-10 20:50:51

@MikeP would that allow the switch in the master also turn on the hall?  The hall also works by itself when he master isn't on.  I'm gonna pull the switch out and see if the lines are switched. I'm use to a line /load on a gfi and the if wired wrong the load doesn't work at all. I'll give it a shot and post up if it works

Options
2020-08-10 22:46:58
Hard to say without seeing the layout in person... Generally aren't the bathroom lights on a separate circuit from the outlet GFI? Often the hot (and neutral) are daisy chained in a box, so if a switch (which is all that relay is) controls multiple boxes the downstream line in for those has been connected to load out of the switch - hence my guess. Exceptions are power through fixture (which usually isn't the case for bathroom lights) and bad neutrals which can cause all sorts of weird problems. If you're using GFI the only tricky part is making sure the tp link line in, out, and neutral are either all on the input side or all on the output side - using the wrong neutral can pop the GFI.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-08-10 23:51:38

@MikeP the gfis are only separate 20 amp circuit and lighting is on separate 15 amp. Both with own neutrals. I'll pull it apart tomorrow when I get home from work. I'll post up what I figure out. Thanks for the help

Options
2020-08-12 17:36:15

@MikeP I pulled the switch out and flipped the 2 black wires. On my switch neither is marked line or load. Similar to a standard single pole switch. Still no change. Both bathrooms are fed off the same 15 amp circuit using the same neutral. Not sure if I got a bad switch or for some reason you can't put of these switches on the same circuit  The blue is my hot feed,purple is my switch leg,green to ground,and white is tied to the neutral. My hall bath works fine and the three way switch on my front coach lights works fine. Just this one in the master 

Options
2020-08-12 17:49:05
I got it!! Somehow in my settings the smart actions turned on the remote setting for the hall bath linked to the master. All good
Options
2020-08-25 06:38:02

@Slammed I'm a newbie here. I would like to know more about Hs200. I will wait for your reply. 

Options
2020-08-25 19:08:11
What do you need to know?
Options
2020-09-08 13:25:44

@Slammed I would like to know how does a multiple switches work?

Options
2020-09-08 15:08:41
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2416

Replies: 11

Related Articles