Sky Q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sky Q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sky Q
Sky Q
2020-08-12 21:46:36 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:35:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but how do I connect the Deco M5 to my Sky Q without having any issues. I only got this two days ago but I'm ready to send it back. Great with everything other that my Sky Q and Sky mini box. Freezes after 10 mins of connecting! I read so many arcticles re sky having its own mesh system etc etc. I just want to know how to connect it without issue. I have a virgin hub3 which isn't close to the Sky Q main box. 

Any help would be great please! 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sky Q-Solution
2020-09-04 02:27:50 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:35:21

@Grapedoor2877 

Update:

Hi, It is suggested to refer to this link to configure the Sky Q main box and mini boxes to properly work with Deco:

Can Sky Q work with Deco?

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Sky Q
2020-08-13 09:25:28

@Grapedoor2877 I have exactly the same issue so following you see if anyone responds. I've obviously just chucked the boxes after thinking it was ok for the first day!

Options
2020-09-03 21:04:52
Same issue here. Really need this fixing
Options
Re:Sky Q-Solution
2020-09-04 02:27:50 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:35:21

@Grapedoor2877 

Update:

Hi, It is suggested to refer to this link to configure the Sky Q main box and mini boxes to properly work with Deco:

Can Sky Q work with Deco?

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-04 22:18:51

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@Grapedoor2877 

Hello, sorry to respond late.

Could you please check some basic info and we will try to figure it out?
1. Ensure the Deco M5 firmware is up-to-date, which should be 1.4.7 Build 20200725. If not, update the firmware first on the Deco app.
2. Ensure the Deco app is the latest as well.
3. Please confirm the current network topology/layout, how many Deco M5 do you have and how are they connected?

4. Are the SkyQ box and Mini supporting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless? If they only support 2.4GHz, you may try to disable 5GHz on the Deco system and confirm again.

5. How about other devices in your network, are they still working fine when connected to the Deco network?

6. Is there any change in the network before the Sky Q started to freeze?

7. Try to connect the Sky Q and Mini to the Deco M5 units with Ethernet cables and confirm is they can connect fine.

Thanks.

@TP-Link_Deco 

Having now connected both the Sky Q and mini this seem to had resolved the issue. It's not ideal if i'm honest and if i'd have known this before buying them i would have probably not bothered as this restricts were i have position them.

Options
2020-09-06 11:20:25

@Grapedoor2877 The problem is that the 5Ghz band for clients uses the same frequenices as those for Sky Q so if you have any weak signals snywhere the two mesh networks can interefere - I lose picture on one of my boxes occaisionally if Im using wifi in that room. There are so many free 5Ghz channels its ridiculous that these arent configurable.

Options
2020-09-07 01:37:25

@Grapedoor2877 

Hello,

Do you mean connecting both the Sky Q and Mini to the Deco M5 with Ethernet cables and they are working fine now? If so, can you please help verify my questions in the previous reply and we may investigate further?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-13 06:37:25

@TP-Link_Deco Hi. I installed three Deco M9s and had the same problem (ie both Sky Q boxes freezing). Have disabled Mesh for both boxes and problem seems to have disappeared. As they don't roam, there's no need for them to be ' meshed'. 

Options
2020-11-06 12:00:46

@Grapedoor2877 

Hi I am not technical at all but I think I have the same problem. However from reading all these threads I just get more confused. I have sky superfast broadband in my house. I have built a garden office at the end of the garden and needed to get wifi. I bought and installed a TP link deco M5 mesh network with three boxes. Box one is connected to the sky modem by a cable. Box 2 elswhere in the house and box 3 in  my office. The result was I have excellent wifi connection in my office, thanks to the TP link. However today we ordered and got a Sky Q box and a sky Q mini box. The main sky Q box connected to the mesh network is working fine in the house. However the mini box was intended to connect to the TV in my Garden office. For some reason it just does not see or pick up the mesh network in my office. It works fine in other parts of the house (the mini box) however in the office it does not see the network.

Is this a similar problem to this or is this something different ?

Any advice would be helpful.

MarkG763

Options
2020-11-06 13:34:54

@MarkG763 

MarkG763 wrote

@Grapedoor2877 

Hi I am not technical at all but I think I have the same problem. However from reading all these threads I just get more confused. I have sky superfast broadband in my house. I have built a garden office at the end of the garden and needed to get wifi. I bought and installed a TP link deco M5 mesh network with three boxes. Box one is connected to the sky modem by a cable. Box 2 elswhere in the house and box 3 in  my office. The result was I have excellent wifi connection in my office, thanks to the TP link. However today we ordered and got a Sky Q box and a sky Q mini box. The main sky Q box connected to the mesh network is working fine in the house. However the mini box was intended to connect to the TV in my Garden office. For some reason it just does not see or pick up the mesh network in my office. It works fine in other parts of the house (the mini box) however in the office it does not see the network.

MarkG763

MarkG763 wrote

@Grapedoor2877 

MarkG763

Hi,

I believe I have managed to solve my issues as I've had no problems for over 6 weeks now. Basically I connected both my Sky boxes via an Ethernet cable to the TVs. So deco box to sky box via Ethernet cable. It's a shame really as this means I have two out of three decos in one room as my router in in the opposite corner to Tv. It was my only option. Hopes this helps! 

Options
2021-01-15 23:19:03

@TP-Link_Deco I have the same problem as everyone else re sky Q. I bought the 3 pack of Deco M5 to improve my WiFi around the home as my Virgin Hub3 is terrible.

Deco setup went fine but I'm not getting anything close to the 300mbps that I'm supposed to with my Virgin package.

Now my main Sky Q box connects but crashes every 10 mins and my 2 mini boxes won't connect at all. 

I've had Sky Q for 3 years and never had a problem before.

Sky Q boxes will only find 2.4ghz frequencies and then they broadcast areond the home in their of 5ghz frequency.

I have set up a guest network to on 5ghz only and main on 2.4 GHz only to see if that helped but no joy.

Reading on here it's clear to me that every sky Q owner has an issue so do you have a work around or do I need to send back the decos and go back to my TP link power line extenders that I was using before?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5165

Replies: 11

Related Articles