'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
25 Reply
Re:'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode
2020-09-10 05:57:08

@TP-Link_Deco 

Many wises told you the same thing, but a LAN router in any mode must not make LAN hijacking behavior such as starting a DHCP server on its own and leasing an invalid address if no DHCP server is not in service.

Again, DHCP servers MUST not operate for any reason other than when explicitly instructed to do so by the user.

It's not a smart feature. It's just LAN HIJACKING.

Imagine that you have a client that needs the information through the DHCP option.

Imagine that the original network address was the same as the network address that Deco tries hijacking.

I can think of any number of scenarios in which this ridiculous behavior could wreak havoc on the network.

You guys should treat this as a defect, not a feature request.

Options
2020-09-10 06:30:19

@zodiaq 

Thanks again for your request. We will add the switch to allow users to disable the smart DHCP feature on the future firmware updates, please keep an eye on your Deco app for any updates in the future.

Options
2020-09-10 11:30:46

@TP-Link_Deco thank you for agreeing to implement a DHCP disable switch.

Please provide an approximate timeline for the firmware release so this action can be held to account.

Thanks

Options
2020-09-17 22:29:36

@TP-Link_Deco what's the plan guys?

While you are at it, may be you could also:

1. Remove WPA-TKIP or decouple it from WPA2 (CVE-2008-5230)

2. Add WPA3 (to mitigate KRACK CVE-2017-13077-13087)

3. Stop pinging / resolving against third party websites (Facebook, Reddit, Microsoft, Netflix) to test WAN access

There's a firmware roadmap for you free of charge.

For version 4. You could let users change their WiFi bands.

Options
2020-09-18 22:19:08

@TP-Link_Deco 18 months is more than enough time for the engineering team to figure this out.It is really frustating and is causing a lot of problems in my case too.

I have in the past and in future will also stop people from buying TP link mesh devices until this issue is resolved.

I hope it will be resolved asap.

Options
2020-10-22 22:30:04

@TP-Link_Deco any update, you've had a month to think about it?

Options
2020-10-23 12:27:14 - last edited 2021-03-11 01:36:26

@atca   @advaitghaisas 

Hi, thanks for asking again.

The option to allow the Deco administrator to disable the smart DHCP feature will be added on 1.6.0 version as per the Deco firmware release timeline, but we don't have an ETA either, so hope you could wait and keep an eye on your Deco app.

Nice day.

Options
2020-10-24 06:04:45

@TP-Link_Deco  

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@atca   @advaitghaisas 

Hi, thanks for asking again.

The option to allow the Deco administrator to disable the smart DHCP feature will be added on 1.6.0 version as per the Deco firmware release timeline, but we don't have an ETA either, so hope you could wait and keep an eye on your Deco app.

Nice day.

As I can judge by your response that you have information about features that will be added in future then please give detailed reply to my below post so that every one has clarity.

Also I Know you do not want to commit on ETA but I request if you can give very vague idea about ETA, it will be really helpful.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/231330?replyId=503468

Options
2020-10-26 11:39:05

@jthcomputers 

Hi, we have replied you on your own post below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/231330

Options
2020-11-25 20:04:11
Thank you for your reply. Any estimation as to in which month and year will the 1.6.0 update be launched?
Options