Powerline Discrepancy Transmission Rate Differs Between two Adapters on same circuit, why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Powerline Discrepancy Transmission Rate Differs Between two Adapters on same circuit, why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-16 03:37:54
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902104_190506_901

Hi there,

I have purchased a TL-PA9020P-Kit version 4 in Canada. Both adapters are in the latest firmware, 3.2.4_902104_190506_901.

I am wondering why i have such a discrepancy transmission rate between two adapters. Should they not be roughly equal between each other?

*This is a home/house setting (not an office building). House probably built in the late 70's or 80's.

Using the PowerLineUtility.exe installed on my Windows laptop, i have the following display to the Powerline transmission between both devices:

Adapter A ------------------------------------------------> Adapter B   126 Mbps (yellow powerline indication)

(first floor connected to router)                             (second floor)

Adapter B ------------------------------------------------> Adapter A   24 Mbps (red powerline indication)

(second floor)                                                       (first floor)

My question is, why is the transmission rate from adapter B to A so much so much slower? (and logically it should be on the same electrical circuit?)

Thank you if anyone can explain this,

Jobu.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline Discrepancy Transmission Rate Differs Between two Adapters on same circuit, why?
2020-08-19 07:34:13

@Jobu 

Hello, Good day.

Thank you for your patience.

Normally, the power-line rates are supposed to be the same.

So could you please help us check the following information:

1. Is the lower rate adapter connected directly to the wall, or via power stripe?
  2. Are there many large power consumption machines around the adapter? And if these two adapters are next to each other, would it still be different?
  3. If you swap the location of the two adapters, is it always the same one that had the problem?

Thank you very much!

Options
Re:Powerline Discrepancy Transmission Rate Differs Between two Adapters on same circuit, why?
2020-08-30 23:03:02

@Solla-topee 

Hi Solla-topee,

Thanks for your response.

The lower rate adapter is indeed plugged into the wall.

Generally speaking, there are no major appliances around each device. I've also made sure to turn everything off and run this at night with minimal appliances running to keep the circuit "clean" as possible.

So did some investigating:

1. I moved the Adapter B downstairs to the same room to be right beside each other (as in the next closest outlet).

Looks like the rate increased for each one, but it adapter B is still transmitting back to A at half the time A is to B:

2. I carried out your suggestion and swapped the two adapters....now it looks like A is the one transmitting back to B at half the rate!

So i guess the problem isn't really isolated to one adapter..

Any other ideas as to what could explain this weird phenomena / behaviour?

Much appreciated,

Thanks!

Options
2020-08-31 06:02:56

@Jobu 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

For your case, we have already forward to our senior engineers and please have a check of your email box.

Thank you very much for your cooperation so far.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 527

Replies: 3

Related Articles