vr2800 data rate vs max rate discrepancy / poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-28 12:02:58
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:0.8.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 220120 Rel.42300n

Over time the connected data rate has been continually falling - on the vr2800, currently

If I use ISP own rtrs I get a data rate of ~30000 without any issues, but the vr2800 refuses to get anywhere near this, whats gone / going wrong on the vr2800?

Month years go from the router speed test data rate was  > 30Mbs Down and ~8mbs Up.
Engineer was here last week checking out line and stated is good for ~30Mb+.

The ISP is on / viaTalkTalk Business, service. that I have been with for many years.

Options
5 Reply
Re:vr2800 data rate vs max rate discrepancy / poor performance
2022-05-31 20:23:28

@Simon01 Any advice on this - anything that can be done to get the router back up to speed?

Options
2022-06-01 02:04:34

@Simon01 

Hi, thank you very much for your time and patience.

May I know how long have you had Archer VR2800?

Did the speed gradually drop from 30M to 20M, even lower? or Did it stay on 20M for most of the time?

Please go to web UI>Advanced>Network>DSL settings>enable SRA to see whether it could improve the speed.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-01 14:27:03

@David-TP  Many thanks for the reply.
I've had the router 4 years, origionally on ADSL  but moved  to VDSL  / FFTC  in 2018, where performance started ~27Mbs, rose over the following months to ~32Mbs, gradully tailed to and held at ~26Mbs into 2021, and has since slipped further even as low as 17Mbs - but has been ~20 for seversal months. 

Have had engineers out including last week, and when they have tested have shown the line to be good for at least 30M, indeed when I put a talktalk routers be that HG635 'super router' or their 'WiFi Hub' routers  in place straight back to Max rates of 30-36M and Actual rates of ~30M !   Note in all cases from the BT filtered Master socket.
When I put the VR back in place it shows a Max rate of ~34M but as shown Actual is a lowly 20M. I have tried with both SRA enabled and disabled, however with it enabled the Max rate is only ~22M.  :-(

It is almost as if with SRA it is remembering an 'old' possible worst case and is stuck at that.

Obviously dissapointed as the TT routers give a 50% better rate  (but fairly useless as a router with a server / port management etc behind them).  :-(
I feel that perhaps a way of improving this is to try and use a TT router as modem/bridge and bypass the VR's modem just use it as pure Router :-(

Options
2022-06-02 01:49:16

@Simon01 

Thanks for the update.

I think after 4 years, Archer VR2800 might not be powerful as before, and using the TalkTalk router as a DSL bridge modem and VR2800 as a pure wireless router would be a nice try to improve the speed.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-02 10:43:54

@David-TP  Hi David,

Hmm, there is one difference that I can see, which  is that the snr on the VGR2800, sticks at ~ 14db, where as the TT routers happily work on around 6db, so I think part of the problem is the VR one is not maximising  the throughput due to being stuck holding an unnecessarily high snr hence worse / lower throughput,  but why? 

What can be done to get the VR to retrain itself to a similar snr value that the TT routers are happy with?

On being only 4 years old are you saying that TP-link routers only perform better than free ISP ones for a year or so, surely not ! ?

If I bought a new TP router your suggesting it would as well as or better than the 'free' ones but only for maybe a year - this does not make very good sense?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 682

Replies: 6