Terrible quality of the wi-fi at the second floor (low speed + packet loss)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 20:09:46 - last edited 2020-08-18 08:24:08
Model: Archer C60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20161206 rel.69298

Hello guys!

I need your help and suggestions about my problem. I have a 60Mbps Download / 30Mbps Upload ADSL Connection, from Live Tim ISP, very well known here in Brazil. I used to use their wi-fi router, but the signal strenght was weak on the second floor, so I purchased the Archer C60 hoping it would increase signal distribution in the whole house.

I configured the first router in bridge mode, and after it, the C60. So on, it was perfect, and we could connect 10 devices without any problem, all of them working perfectly even in the second floor.

After some time, we had a problem with the ISP, and stayed 1 month without connection, and after the repair, the internet was back, but then the problem started. I had to configure everything from the beginning, just as I did the first time. But now, internet in the second floor is pretty bad, being almost impossible to use wifi to download something heavy, or to stream, have meetings at zoom, or play online in the PS4. Wi-fi in the first floor is perfect, and works flawlessly with the full contracted speed (60 Down / 30 Up) and with everybody connected, but at the second floor, I can only get around 20~25 Down and 20~30 Up (only with 1 person connected), but with an enormous packet loss. When I check Zoom's statistics, I see sometimes 30% of packet loss, getting at even 80% during some peaks. If 2 or more people are connected at the same time, looks that all the bandwidth goes away and even opening a page at google takes a long time. Using cables, all that I connect goes 60/30 without any problem, and 0 packet loss.

I would like to know what else can I do, as I already tried changing DNS settings, changing the wi-fi channel, using 40MHz bandwidth, changing wi-fi transmission level to High... and none seems to work well...

And if someone would ask... If take C60 out of the system, ISP's router works just as it should, just with the low signal strenght that I related in the beginning.

Thank you very much!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Terrible quality of the wi-fi at the second floor (low speed + packet loss)-Solution
2020-08-18 08:23:44 - last edited 2020-08-18 08:24:08

@LucasNascimento 

Hello, sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to reset the C60 to its factory default and reconfigure it from scratch? If not yet, try the reset first.

If you have already tried to reset it, please confirm some details and we can try to figure it out:

1. Is the C60 working on Router mode? What is the WAN Connection Type on it? Please ensure the QoS settings on its web interface and try to disable it if it is currently enabled.

2. Is the C60 installed on the first floor and in the same location as before? Is there any other change in your network after the network down? Try a mobile app to analyze the WiFi around you, review all the channels in 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Next, review the channels on the router for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If the channels match that around you, an indication of overcrowded. Manually adjust the channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to lesser use channels.

There are possibly other wireless parameters that need tweaking, such as Power Transmit, narrow or wide band, etc. but start with the above and below link:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/200588

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Terrible quality of the wi-fi at the second floor (low speed + packet loss)-Solution
2020-08-18 08:23:44 - last edited 2020-08-18 08:24:08

@LucasNascimento 

Hello, sorry to hear that.

Have you tried to reset the C60 to its factory default and reconfigure it from scratch? If not yet, try the reset first.

If you have already tried to reset it, please confirm some details and we can try to figure it out:

1. Is the C60 working on Router mode? What is the WAN Connection Type on it? Please ensure the QoS settings on its web interface and try to disable it if it is currently enabled.

2. Is the C60 installed on the first floor and in the same location as before? Is there any other change in your network after the network down? Try a mobile app to analyze the WiFi around you, review all the channels in 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Next, review the channels on the router for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If the channels match that around you, an indication of overcrowded. Manually adjust the channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to lesser use channels.

There are possibly other wireless parameters that need tweaking, such as Power Transmit, narrow or wide band, etc. but start with the above and below link:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/200588

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Terrible quality of the wi-fi at the second floor (low speed + packet loss)
2020-08-18 18:23:08

Hi! @Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your response! First of all, yes, I already tried to reset it and configure from scratch. No deal.

1 - Yes, it is working as a router, since the modem function is being made by my ISP's router in bridge mode. Connection type is PPPoE, chosen through the auto-detect method in the configuration process. QoS disabled (always been disabled).

2 - Yes, it is located exactly in the same place as before, and no changes in the network. The channel question: This is a thing I've been struggling with. I've been checking the channel map nearby for some time, and as you can see in the image below, there are a lot of Wi-fi networks around. Both "Vivo-Internet-DB6C" and "Netart" networks are mine too, as I work from home and need more than 1 network as a backup. The network that I'm using the C60 is "Live Tim NETART". This is the last position that I configured, in order to ensure that my networks are not overlapping each other.

Power transmit is at Maximum power both for 2.4 and 5 GHz.

The other configurations within the link you sent: I read the whole article, but had no help from it, as this problem happens with any device in the second floor, and these same devices work 100% in the first floor.

I thank you very much for your assistance so long Kevin!

Options
2020-08-19 03:39:15

@LucasNascimento 

Hello, thanks for all the details.

Is the WiFi Analyzer test result performed when your computer is on the 1st floor or 2nd floor? If it is on the 2nd floor, it shows the C60 2.4GHz signal strength is quite good. Can you confirm if the 5GHz signal and speed, will it be better?

Since the issue happens recently and nothing changed in your network or environment, we may not have more suggestions. If your router is still in the warranty, it is suggested to confirm with the local tech support to request a replacement:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Good day.

Options
2020-08-20 13:01:50

Hi @Kevin_Z !

Sorry for my late response. I'd have a meeting at Zoom yesterday night, and I waited to see how the internet would perform before answering.

Also, I took a screenshot of the channel map at the second floor:

I admit that after I changed to the Channel 11, I didn't have a chance to test the connection as I should, specially the packet loss. I only checked the speed, that was 5~10Mbit lower than in the first floor. However, with this yesterday meeting I could take some proof: the connection was way better than before, and I had no packet loss during the whole meeting (around 2 hours straight), and no glitches neither. I believe changing to channel 11 was the solution!

Also noteworthy: I had other 2 computers sharing the same wi-fi with me, one hardwired and other connected via wi-fi, both at the first floor, and only I was at the second floor.

I'd like to thank you very much for your help and suggestions Kevin_Z!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1099

Replies: 4