Trying to block youtube on Archer A7 AC1750

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-22 16:57:36
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20200220 rel.33197(5553)

(lol my model isn't even available in the "Model" dropdown menu! This does not bode well...)

I am trying to use the Parental Controls to block youtube on my child's chromebook from school:

I have confirmed the device is indeed the chromebook - MAC addr matches (and if I completely pause Internet Access, it can't access anything):

Here is the Blocked Content:

And here are the time settings:

Now the first time the chromebook is started, going to youtube.com hangs, and appears to be blocked. HOWEVER - if I close the browser, or open a new tab and again to go youtube.com, it loads just fine. What is happening here? It looks to be pretty broken, unless I'm missing something huge.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Trying to block youtube on Archer A7 AC1750
2020-08-23 00:10:21

@cgty 

I don't know how TP-Link's website blocking works, but if it's done via DNS filtering, then you might want to check which DNS server is specified on the Chromebook. In case there are more (or other) name servers specified than just the IP address of your router (normally 192.168.0.1 unless you've changed it), then this could be a reason why the blocking doesn't work.

Furthermore, computer operating systems also have what's called a "DNS cache", which retains information of recently visited websites. So it's possible the router does properly block the DNS requests for youtube.com, but the Chromebook then just uses the information it still has in its DNS cache to get the IP address of youtube.com. If you want to rule that out as well, then you need to "flush" (erase) the DNS cache. 

Options
2020-08-23 21:40:00

@woozle IDK how TP-Link's website blocking works either, but obviously not very well. I know about DNS caching; I have rebooted the chromebook mutiple times (which will clear the cache), but the problem still persists.

Options
2020-11-07 03:53:26

@cgty facing same issue. Did you resolve it?

Options
2020-11-07 15:09:51

@imauser no I didn't - I ended up setting up a https://pi-hole.net/ ubuntu box, and using that to control the site access. Low cost, but requires some extra tech skills.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2424

Replies: 4

Related Articles