Deco settings with BT Player

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco settings with BT Player

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Deco settings with BT Player
2020-09-04 06:19:20

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@IanJ 

Hi, do you mean you have confirmed the BT Player and BT Sport works fine when Deco is in AP mode? If so, Can I have your detailed network diagram when the Deco is working as a router? Is there a switch in your network?

Thanks.

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi - no, I mean I have yet to try and I read elsewhere it worked for someone else.

I have no switches, plain and simple Deco connected to the ONT, BT Youview box connected via cable to another Deco which also runs backhaul via CAT6 cable to the final slave Deco.

Options
2020-09-24 11:16:02

@Travs 

is there more information on IGMP snooping settings please? Or any other information that supports that it is a feature on the setup?

Options
2020-10-03 23:38:05

@TP-Link_Deco 

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@IanJ 

Hi, do you mean you have confirmed the BT Player and BT Sport works fine when Deco is in AP mode? If so, Can I have your detailed network diagram when the Deco is working as a router? Is there a switch in your network?

Thanks.

Hi - just to confirm after something played up today I decided to put the BT Smarthub6 back in as the router and sure enough the BT Sport channels picked up straight away. So I then went and configured the Deco's in AP mode and as I expected the BT Sport channel worked fine.

If you have Deco M4 and you want the IPTV channels it looks like this is the only way until either BT provide the config for it to work or TP-Link upgrade the firmware

Options
2020-10-12 11:13:58

@IanJ  @Travs 

Hi, sorry for the late response. We would like to follow up on your case via email and we will try to investigate further, please check your email box and respond, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-10-19 09:00:20

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you - have seen the email but it's too late for me. We've already decided that we're getting rid of the BT Youview box and not having access to those internet channels. We don't watch them enough to warrant the monthly cost and tend to watch app-based tv and films.

So we will be removing the BT box and therefore it doesn't matter whether we supposedly have IGMP snooping featured or IPTV/VLAN settings as nothing else requires it. We can use the Deco-M5 system we have perfectly well with everything else. I'll reply to the email to say the same.

Options
2020-10-19 09:13:44

@IanJ 

Yes this is what we found. Using the BT HomeHub as a router controlling internet traffic coming into the house, means the Youview box gets what it needs, (irrespective of how it gets its signal ie directly cabled to HomeHub or passed through via a Deco node in AP mode). So you get the internet channels. 

If you put the Deco system into Router mode, you should be removing the HomeHub from the LAN structure as theoretically both the HomeHub and the main Deco node will try to manage the NAT and other  LAN services such as port forwarding/firewall and I would expect that will create conflicts. If you don't get issues, then great news for you - but (a) that's a surprise and (b) there's nothing I've read in any documentation to explain that or why. Quite the opposite in fact.

Technically, if you're going to switch Deco between AP and Router mode, you should also be physically adding and deleting the HomeHub from the network which just seems a pain to me. You can turn off the HomeHub wifi but not the router functionality (what other routers call Bridge Mode effectively turning the HomeHub into a dsl modem). This is why I got rid of the HomeHub completely and bought a reconditioned BT vDSL modem off eBay for £15. Hide everything away in cupboard and there you have a decent wifi signal, the odd Ethernet port around the house if you need it and full Deco router functionality.

The price for that is the loss of internet tv channels. I'll pay that.

So for me this problem is now defunct but best of luck with whatever you go for!

cheers,

Options
2020-11-04 00:49:38

@Travs 

Hi - same conclusion here, my recording Youview box has packed up so my plan is to buy a new TV with the BT app for Sport on it or plan B get a Roku so I won't be watchning the Sport as a "channel" but via App which works either situation.

Once that's done I'll probably ditch the Smart hub as well and keep it as a backup, I've made life easier by utilizing the BT SSID and password for the Deco's previously so at least I won't have to go and reconnect items (EV charger is a bit clunky)

Must admit in router or AP mode the performance is pretty robust

Options
Related Articles