Intermittent connection when ipv6 are enabled - Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 19:05:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 build 20200725 rel. 63377

For now, I have my Fiber modem as main router and 3 deco M5 as access point to wifi connections.  I had to disable deco M5 as main router cause I can't do anything with ipv6 enabled on it, lose connection with Deco App also. I had to factory reset my deco.

Now, I have Deco M5 as access point with ipv4 and ipv6 from telco modem. But I keep having wifi connection lost. If I connect through my telco modem wifi this not happens (i let wifi hidden and with other name just for this kind of problem).

As soon as possible I will try to buy other brand. I don't see anyone complains about basic functions like have ipv4 and ipv6 on local network without navigation issues.  And, I am IT professional with 20 years of infastructure knowledge (Sun Servers, SPARC, network, virtualization and so on). So, what the hell happens with Tp-Link firmware??? I know that is not lack of knowledge.

Options
13 Reply
Re:Intermittent connection when ipv6 are enabled - Deco M5
2020-08-28 12:15:16

@lfalcao 

Hello,

Do you mean the Deco network connection is stable if you disable the IPv6 connection on your Telco Fiber modem router? When IPv6 is enabled and the Deco network is unstable, how about the LEDs on all the three units? Are they solid green all the time?

How about the connection status on your wireless clients, are they still showing connected but lose the internet access or they just quit from the wireless completely?

What if you only connect the main Deco to the fiber modem and leave IPv6 enabled, will it be stable?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-08-28 13:33:37

@TP-Link_Deco . No. Connection is stable if I let Deco as main router (DHCP and all features. Not Access Point configuration) connected on my fiber modem and disable ipv6, so no local device receive ipv6. If I let Deco as main router with ipv6, I can't navigate on internet/local network. When I enable ipv6 on Deco connected direct to my fiber router, I need to Factory reset cause I can't even open Deco App to disable ipv6.

about LEDs, yes. Green all the time. It's lock like that Deco loses himself in routing btw ipv6 and ipv4 for local devices.

the all problem is my devices. They show me connected to local network but loses some pages don't open and monitoring shows lose internet access. But, this don't happens using telco WiFi.

Options
2020-08-31 11:08:00

@lfalcao 

Hi, thanks a lot for your details.

I understand it now:

If you configure the Deco M5 as a Router and disable IPv6 on it, all is good;
If you configure the Deco M5 as a Router and enable IPv6 on it, there won't be internet access and you won't be able to manage it via LAN;

If you configure the Deco M5 as an AP and enable IPv4 & IPv6 on your Telco Fiber modem router, the Deco M5 will keep loosing the connection, while all the LEDs on the Deco units are solid green all the time.

May I confirm more details and our engineer may help investigate further?

1. May I have your detailed network layout, is it as simple as below?

Telco Fiber modem router (IPv4 & IPv6 are both enabled)---main Deco M5 (AP mode))))((((2nd and 3rd Deco

In the above layout, if you connect to the Deco wireless network, can we have a ping test to the internet? Is it completely unreachable or with some package loss?

2. Who is your ISP and what kind of IPv6 connection do you have? Is the IPv6 the same as IPv4? When you tried to configure the Deco M5 into the router and set up the IPv6 connection on it, can you build up the IPv6 connection successfully? How about the LEDs on the Deco units? You may also log into the web interface of the Deco to confirm if you have obtained the IPv6 address: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2641/

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-08-31 13:50:43

@TP-Link_Deco , You are correct about detailed problem.

1. I can ping with some data loss (many in fact).

2. My ISP is VIVO. I have a fiber internet with 300 Mbps (download) and 150 Mbps (upload). I don´t know what kind of IPv6 I have. My telco modem shows:

IPv6 setup:

• Delegated prefix: 2804:431:cfd1:171f::/64
  • Link-Local - LAN IPv6 address: fe80::xxxx:yyyy:zzz:a7f/64
  • Global - WAN IPv6 address: 2804:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz:wwww:qqqq:uuuu:a1ce/64
  • Default gtw: fe80::xxxx:yyyy:wwww:e1c9
  • Primary DNS: 2001:12e0:0:1025:a080::2
  • Secondary DNS: 2001:12e0:0:1025:a080::3

When I let IPv6 on Deco (when deco is main router, not AP) I saw IPv6 on Deco, green light and IPv6 on client. But I lost every access.

Options
2020-09-01 03:02:47

@lfalcao 

Thank you very much for all the details and we will escalate your case to the engineers, who will help you figure it out ASAP.

Good day~

Options
2020-09-02 20:50:10

@TP-Link_Deco Thanks. I will wait for any resolution. it's very frustratingI bought Deco M5 to have all my apartment covered. Using the MESH technology with almost 1 Gbps of Wi-Fi connection. But IPv6 disabled is not accepted. Using the hidden wifi of my telco router is very smoth but even with Deco as Access Point, I keep loosing connectivity. In my mobile, constantly have to disable wifi and use 4G. So frustrating. I have an Internet with 300 Mbps of Download and 150 Mbps of upload (fiber) but is worst than 4G...

Options
2020-09-03 01:26:06

@lfalcao , today, watching soccer on stream app, My wish was to trow Deco on the wall. It's really unacceptable this just continue freezing. Just because my provider enabled ipv6??? What the hell? I will disable Deco and let only my provider Wi-Fi and, when I can, I will buy a really good MESH router.

Options
2020-09-03 11:52:49

@lfalcao 

Hi, please reply to the email we have sent to you, and our engineer will help you figure it out ASAP, thanks.

Options
2022-01-03 22:50:34

@TP-Link_Deco I am having similar problem with m9plus. Worked for 1 year no problem. Activated ip6. Units crashed could not access via web or lan. Reset all units to factory settings and started new network from scratch. Now constantly drops all the units no matter what I do. Awful, intolerable. Need senior engineer. Your telephone product support not helpful. Need answers now

Options
2022-01-04 07:23:47

@Bdr 

Hi, I see your case has been forwarded to the senior engineers already.

Since they just came back from the new year vacation, there might be some delay and they will check the case and update the email as soon as possible.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5430

Replies: 13