Deco m5 wifi is terrible slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-05 06:53:24 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:34:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 build 20200725 rel. 63377

Hi there!

There are a bunch of threads on this topic and I see no solution that works for me so far....

I own 3 units of Deco m5 in access point mode. The main is connected by a wire to the router, other 2 are wirelessly connected and cover the house with Wifi.

When firstly purchased - about 2-2.5 months ago - I was able to get about 200-300 Mbit out of 500Mbit that I have.

After 2 firmware updates - it goes up to 30Mbit at max (last test was 7Mbit).

I swaped the main unit with another one did whatever I found in the troubleshooting threads - nothing helped...

I will be happy to get some assistance with this, for, so far, I encounter very bad wifi speed...

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco m5 wifi is terrible slow-Solution
2020-09-07 06:34:18 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:34:24

@TalCh 

Hello,

As for the speed issue you reported here, it seems that your Deco M5 units are working fine for months and suddenly drops to a very slow speed, we hope you could help confirm the below:

1. Who is your internet service provider? Please connect your computer to the ISP modem/router directly and test the speed you can get from it and show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

2. Then connect the ISP modem/router--the main Deco--the same computer,  leave the other two Deco M5 nodes disconnected or unplugged, run the speedtest again and confirm the speed again, show us the test result.

3. Connect a laptop or smartphone to the main Deco wireless network, test the wireless speed again, please verify it is connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network and how about the link speed as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Besides, please uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 under Advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type page and click save, then run the speedtest again and check whether it works.

Thanks a lot and let the community know if there is an update.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-12 08:02:08 - last edited 2020-09-15 06:44:04

@TP-Link_Deco 

Apologies for late reply.

I connected unit #3 (the farthest one) with a cat5e cable directly to the router. Now the PC that is connected to thet unit second port - got the full available speed, around 430-450Mbit. The Wifi speed in Unit #3 area is about 300 Mbit.

So I guess - I have to blame ... the walls and the stairs for this speed drop.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
2020-09-07 06:34:18 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:34:24

@TalCh 

Hello,

As for the speed issue you reported here, it seems that your Deco M5 units are working fine for months and suddenly drops to a very slow speed, we hope you could help confirm the below:

1. Who is your internet service provider? Please connect your computer to the ISP modem/router directly and test the speed you can get from it and show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

2. Then connect the ISP modem/router--the main Deco--the same computer,  leave the other two Deco M5 nodes disconnected or unplugged, run the speedtest again and confirm the speed again, show us the test result.

3. Connect a laptop or smartphone to the main Deco wireless network, test the wireless speed again, please verify it is connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network and how about the link speed as below:

Besides, please uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 under Advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type page and click save, then run the speedtest again and check whether it works.

Thanks a lot and let the community know if there is an update.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco m5 wifi is terrible slow
2020-09-07 06:48:51

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. My ISP is one of the ISPs available in Israel (HOT is the company name). If connected directly - I can get around 450 Mbit

2. Can try it later

3. If connected to the Wifi of the unit that is connected to the router - I can get about 300 Mbit, Next unit, unit #2, gives around 150-160 Mbit. I have to mentione - only 1 unit is connected by a wire to the router. I do not call it Main Unit, fir Deco names as Main Unit that one that was initially connected to the router (now it was swaped, as part of my tries and it is the aforementioned unit #2)

Regarding the DNS - I guess it is not available when Deco operates like Access Point.

Options
2020-09-07 07:46:52

@TalCh 

Hello, thanks for the details and sorry for my previous suggestions as there is no DNS server when Deco is working as an AP.

As per your description, it seems that the speed from the main Deco (unit #1) is not good enough, may I know what is the distance between the modem and the main Deco (unit #1)? Please try to change it closer to the modem and change with a new cat5e or cat6 cable to check again.

Please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201 (Case 1)

May this help.

Options
2020-09-07 07:57:41

@TP-Link_Deco 

Unit #1 is about 7 cm (~ 3 inch) away of the router. Connected with the cable that came with the DECOs. Previously it was connected with CAT6 but it didn't have much of a change.

I believe that the suggestion from case #2 (Move the satellite Deco closer to the main Deco....) may have a bigger impact. Let's say if unit #2 will be also connected by a wire.

In that case, I assume, the slowness on #3 will be like from 300 and down, rather than from 150 and down, like I have today.

Does it make sence or I am out of ... you know ... any reasonable explanation?

Options
2020-09-08 07:09:57

@TalCh 

Hello, 

Just to confirm again, do you mean you can get about 300Mbps when connecting to the unit #1, which is connected to your ISP modem router, and get about 150-160Mbps when connecting to the unit #2?

Can you please confirm what is the link speed when you connect to unit #1 with an Ethernet cable and how about the speedtest results? How to get the link speed when the computer is connected to unit #1? Refer to the below link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

Then confirm again what is the wireless link speed between the laptop and unit #1, verify it is connected to the 5GHz wireless or 2.4GHz:

What is the link speed when connected to unit #2 via wireless connection? What is the distance between unit #2 and unit #1? We may do a comparison among these, then we will see how to improve it.

When you test the speed, please ensure there are no high-traffic applications running on your laptop, such as playing games or downloading.

Options
2020-09-12 08:02:08 - last edited 2020-09-15 06:44:04

@TP-Link_Deco 

Apologies for late reply.

I connected unit #3 (the farthest one) with a cat5e cable directly to the router. Now the PC that is connected to thet unit second port - got the full available speed, around 430-450Mbit. The Wifi speed in Unit #3 area is about 300 Mbit.

So I guess - I have to blame ... the walls and the stairs for this speed drop.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-15 06:42:07

@TalCh 

Hello, thank you so much for this update and it's really glad that you found a workaround.

I guess it could be the walls or barriers in your house may weaken the wireless connection between the Deco nodes, we can only try to relocate the Deco nodes and try to find one location that gives you a better coverage or connection.

Good days.

Options
2020-12-28 16:26:05

@TP-Link_Deco 

Still not giving up :-)

I guess I need some details / basic understanding of your app, fellows.

So just a quick reminder of the topology:

UNIT #1, wired connected to the router, first floor

UNIT #2, also the main unit mesh connected to God knows whom, floor 1.5

UNIT #3, wired connected to the router, second floor

The setup is set for AP mode (not a router) .

When I analyze the details in the app I see:

• UNIT #1's signal source is set Main Unit (wireless), although it is connected wired to the router (I get ~250Mbit)
  • UNIT #3 signal source is UNIT #1 ethernet, although it is connected to the router, so I am a bit confused by this notification  (I get ~250Mbit)
  • UNIT #2, main unit - is getting signal from .... UNIT #1, based on the first bullet? (I get ~100Mbit, unstable with periodical disconnect)

1. So who is feeding whom? Am I right with reading the data from your app?
  2. How can I change the unit that is feeding the floor 1.5 (UNIT #2)?
  3. Can I change which unit will be named main (without switching phisically unit #2 and one of the other)?
  4. What is the meaning of main unit in the AP setup? Is it recommended to have it wired connected, rather than wireless?
  5. Will it have any impact on the wireless stability to get all the 3 wired connected?

Thanks in advance!

Options
2020-12-29 21:53:00

@TP-Link_Deco 

I also missed this post in your, guys, FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1432/

It's good to know than when folks are connected in Router mode more than 1 unit wired to the router, it may cause glitches.

Well in my case not this was the issue, but.... Keep that in mind, readers.

Second note - in the app I had this option of 'Network optimization' - what that option does? Coz' it claimed some was optimized and I have no freaking idea what that might be...

Options
2021-01-02 08:01:22

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi there!

Do you have, maybe, any news regarding the questions I raised?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3364

Replies: 13

Related Articles