Installing light switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Installing light switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Installing light switch
Installing light switch
2020-09-14 00:36:23

I’m carrying out some renovations to a sixties house, I’m knocking two room into one and adding extra wall plugs. It’s hard to believe that when the house was built all rooms bar one had only one wall socket, the other had two !  My intention is to make, what will be my main living area Smart.  I’d like your views.

Two rooms knocked into one means two ceiling lights, each with their own on/off switch.

The new room will be quite long and my intention would be to have, in addition to the ceiling lights, a number of standard / table type lights scattered about to create ambience. I have a few Smart plugs that I can use with the old wall sockets until I see what can be done.  Eventually I aim to replace the Dumb with the Smart, but that’s for another day.

My difficulty is I’m not clear as to what advantages Smart light switches (ceiling) have or can actually do and if I need to use expensive Smart bulbs.  If I use them does that keep the cost down and give me greater control over what I can use or do? Each area of the new room will be used in different ways. I have an Alexa

Fell free, to make a suggestion or two

Options
3 Reply
Re:Installing light switch
2020-09-14 12:46:44
It's cheaper to use a single smart switch for multiple dumb bulbs than it is to use multiple smart bulbs with a dumb switch. Where you can't use a smart switch smart bulbs work (don't power smart bulbs with a smart switch, esp dimmers). Bulbs tend to be a bit more finicky in holding a wifi connection.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-10-05 02:59:58

@MikeP got it. Thanks for the good advice! I appreciate it.

Options
2021-11-02 19:43:52

@kah22 It is what I can suggest to you https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/508280

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 466

Replies: 3

Related Articles