Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-21 11:04:58 - last edited 2023-05-26 01:17:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200821 Rel. 44341

Hello, 

Since 3 weeks, I've had ping spikes and packet loss. I therefore temporarily lose the internet connection and in game this results in increases of 200ms ping. I restarted all the Decos, as well as my internet router. The Decos are optimally placed and are up to date. The throughput test performed in the screenshot is the result obtained from my computer on which I am having these problems. Thank you for helping me.. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco-Solution
2020-10-29 03:45:22 - last edited 2023-05-26 01:17:21

Update:

For the ping spikes or latency issue reported here, we hope to get more details about the network layout and how did you test this, then we could forward it to the senior engineers for further analysis, thank you all in advance:

1. Please show us how many Deco devices are in the network and how are they connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi Backhaul.

2. At that time, is the client device connected to the main Deco or the satellite, is it connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Try to simplify the network diagram, in other words, temporarily unplug satellite Mesh nodes and leave the main Deco only, then connect that computer to the main Deco via Ethernet cable or 5Ghz Wi-Fi(if no client supports cable connection) to verify whether the ping works well.

Below are some suggestions you can give it a go.
1. Run "Network optimization" on the Deco APP>More.
2. Disable "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" on the Deco app>More>Advanced.

3. Turn off the Mesh technology for the devices;

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
45 Reply
Re: Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco
2020-10-17 08:22:14

@HelloRabbit I had exactly the same issue. I was connected via a BT smart hub and replaced it with a netgear, still had the same issue. Had the same issue with my PS4 when wired in, but decided to wire it directly into the netgear, which basically defeats the purpose of the M9's.

The fix was either to turn off the 5GHz band or the 2.4GHz, I can't remember what I did. Either way it was again defeating the purpose of having the M9's in the first place.

I think I made renamed my guest SSID and password to the same as my primary SSID and set it to 2.4GHz, so all my devices moved onto the "guest", then I renamed my primary SSID to "5GHz" and only enabled the 5GHz on that SSID. This was the work around, I never had any more drops, but I was not happy with it.

I went through TP-Link customer support and of course they told me they can't see anything wrong with the devices and they could not help me. Obviously!

I put the M5's in my parents house and was very impressed, but the M9's are not worth it.

I have moved house and got a new router and have the same issue, which tells me it is the M9's,

So at this very moment I am boxing up the M9's and putting them on eBay, hoping I get some of my money back.

Good luck man!

Options
2020-10-17 15:24:48

Hello,

I third this.

I have the exact same symptoms as those previously mentioned. My Internet experience is suffering because of this :

• VoIP phone calls or Skype glitches
  • When playing online games, my ping goes from 20ms to 200ms+ for few seconds. This makes most of the games freeze are unplayable.

I am experiencing this since 1 week, since a upgraded to version 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 75286

Is there a fix foreseen for this ?

I've been a happy Deco M9 plus user until this bas experience.

Also recommended Deco M9 Plus to many of my friends and coworkers, hopefully this issue get fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2020-10-17 16:55:33

@giornogiovanna I have had this issue unfortunately for 4 months now. The support is no existant for general consumers. I have read a few forums with peoiple having the same issue.

I have not seen tp-link support reply to any of the messages on here regarding it. They simply don't know how to fix it or are just burying their head in the sand.

Time to move to a better brand.

Options
2020-10-17 22:14:00

Same issue here with M4, after upgrading to 1.4.3 build 20200918 Rel. 74289. I had the issue before with deco P7 so I replaced it with M4 and was working find before the last upgrade. It does not happen always, maybe under a bit of load or similar? I noticed that from the web interface CPU is often at 100%, wondering if this is related or not. 

Anyway, I'm fed up. They keep releasing new decos and routers every second day and they are not able to fix this issue with their software. M4 is ging back and will get either Archer AX20 or 50 or preferably Asus as I don't trust TP-Link anymore.  

Options
2020-10-18 10:01:24

Hello @DongleBerry, @giornogiovanna, @Sam1 thank you all for your feedback ! :) 

So I see that I am not the only one to notice this problem. To this day, unfortunately I still haven't found a solution..

I am thinking about making a warranty return with Amazon in order to buy "Eero Pro" which seems to benefit from a much better software tracking based on customer feedback.

It's a real shame, but TP Link customer service didn't help me in any way ! 

Good luck everyone. 

Options
2020-10-28 15:53:08

Same issue here. The packet loss is making all FPS games unplayable. No solution so far

Options
2020-10-28 20:09:41

@HelloRabbit 

Same issue, I am using Deco X20 and the drops are so annoying. I've tried download newest beta firmware and it maybe worse than before. Sad that tplink just ignores that. Tommorow buying new system, this is useless...

Options
Re: Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco-Solution
2020-10-29 03:45:22 - last edited 2023-05-26 01:17:21

Update:

For the ping spikes or latency issue reported here, we hope to get more details about the network layout and how did you test this, then we could forward it to the senior engineers for further analysis, thank you all in advance:

1. Please show us how many Deco devices are in the network and how are they connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi Backhaul.

2. At that time, is the client device connected to the main Deco or the satellite, is it connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Try to simplify the network diagram, in other words, temporarily unplug satellite Mesh nodes and leave the main Deco only, then connect that computer to the main Deco via Ethernet cable or 5Ghz Wi-Fi(if no client supports cable connection) to verify whether the ping works well.

Below are some suggestions you can give it a go.
1. Run "Network optimization" on the Deco APP>More.
2. Disable "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" on the Deco app>More>Advanced.

3. Turn off the Mesh technology for the devices;

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-29 08:16:01

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

I have went through all this with the TP Link support.

My initial setup was with a BT Smarthub. I have tried many different scenarios as directed by the support team.

Scenario 1

BT smart hub in the living room

Both Decos in the same room and connected via cable

I have switched between access point mode and router mode in the deco app

My PC still has ping spikes on WiFi and when I connect it via cable to the Deco

Scenario 2

Netgear Archer AC1900 in the living room

Both Decos in the same room and connected via cable

I have switched between access point mode and router mode in the deco app

My PC still has ping spikes on WiFi and when I connect it via cable to the Deco

I have also tried both scenarios with only 1 Deco configured. I still have the ping spike

I have also switched the Deco from slave and master. I still have the ping spike.

I have also factory reset both Decos and my config.

If I disconnect the Decos and use either the BT Smarthub or Netgear Routers Wireless I experience NO issues.

The Deco light does not change at all when the latency spikes, as far as it is concerned it thinks there are no issues.

I am a network engineer and CCNA qualified, so I like to think I have a good understanding of networks and troubleshooting issues. Everything tells me there is either a hardware or software bug with the Decos.

Options
2020-10-29 10:07:32

@DongleBerry 

Hi, thank you for your quick reply and thank you very much for all of your efforts on trying to solve the ping spikes issue. May I just confirm if you are still using the M9 now? If yes, we can ask our engineers to check or further debug with you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 14821

Replies: 45