Extender doesn't accept password!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-22 13:32:58 - last edited 2020-09-27 02:59:00

I have just installed a TP-Link R305 extender. Installed without any issues all good. Both bands visible.

But i cannot log on to it on my computer, tablet or iPhone because the error 'incorrect password' comes up.

I have now downloaded the 'Tether App' hoping i can manage the extender password, but it is encrypted and half of it is not displayed.

Can anyone please help?

thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Extender doesn't accept password!-Solution
2020-09-27 02:57:10 - last edited 2021-12-02 11:33:16

Hello everyone, 
Thank you all for providing feedback here, we have an instruction that may help resolve 'extender doesn't accept password'  , please check out thread here for details:
[Troubleshooting]  Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender Saying Incorrect Password

Feel free to comment in the above thread and let us know if that works for you. 
Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-30 08:44:45 - last edited 2021-12-02 11:13:59

@Solla-topee Hi, thanks for the reply. The extender would not accept my router password at all. I reset the extender a number of times but it would never accept the password even though I know it is correct. Each attempt was made using the WPS method of set-up. I even connected to the extender IP address and still couldn't change the password.

However, I have now found a solution.

I used the 'Tether' App and then I could see the password in the set up. I changed the password from the encrypted default setting in the extender to the same as my router and now it works on both 2.4gHz and 5gHz bands.

The instructions make the WPS method sound so straightforward, and it would have been had the password been accepted.

Thanks again for trying to help :)

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2020-09-27 02:57:10 - last edited 2021-12-02 11:33:16

Hello everyone, 
Thank you all for providing feedback here, we have an instruction that may help resolve 'extender doesn't accept password'  , please check out thread here for details:
[Troubleshooting]  Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender Saying Incorrect Password

Feel free to comment in the above thread and let us know if that works for you. 
Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-30 08:44:45 - last edited 2021-12-02 11:13:59

@Solla-topee Hi, thanks for the reply. The extender would not accept my router password at all. I reset the extender a number of times but it would never accept the password even though I know it is correct. Each attempt was made using the WPS method of set-up. I even connected to the extender IP address and still couldn't change the password.

However, I have now found a solution.

I used the 'Tether' App and then I could see the password in the set up. I changed the password from the encrypted default setting in the extender to the same as my router and now it works on both 2.4gHz and 5gHz bands.

The instructions make the WPS method sound so straightforward, and it would have been had the password been accepted.

Thanks again for trying to help :)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Extender doesn't accept password!
2021-03-23 07:48:07

@Taff64 

I had the same frustrating problem using the WPS connection.  Managed to do it using the Tether app.  Not sure why that didn't work for you but make sure you reset the extender first and plug it in near your router. 

As well as the Tether app password you will be requested to enter a password for the extender. I suspect that you might not have reset it and that's why you got something encrypted. 

I was able to enter my router password for 2,4 frequency extension but had to skip the 5.  I subsequently went back in and it then accepted the same password. 

Options
2021-10-05 09:27:49

Running outdated may trigger many technical issues, including password validation problems. Updating your network devices is one of the quickest ways to fix this issue. So, go to your router manufacturer's websites using your computer, go to firmware updates and select the update router option.

You can fix your TP-link extender setup WiFi password by these steps:-

1. Install the latest firmware update

Your router’s manufacturer regularly releases updates to improve performance and add new features. Running outdated firmware may trigger many technical issues, including password validation problems. Updating your network devices is one of the quickest ways to fix this issue.

2. Reset your device

Plug your extender into the socket near your Wi-Fi box. Perform a factory reset by holding the reset button with the help of a paperclip, toothpick, or another sharp object. The light on the extender should change. Wait until the light turns green.

There you go, one of these two solutions should help you fix your Wi-Fi extender password issue.  If nothing worked, try changing your Wi-Fi password.

RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:

• How to use your Windows 10 PC as a WiFi extender     
  • Fix: WiFi Disconnected frequently in windows 8,10
  • Fix: my laptop is not showing the WiFi icon                           
Options
2022-02-16 03:54:34 - last edited 2022-02-16 03:56:08

@shreyakith 

Hi all, I had the same issue as well.

This happened when my internet provider upgraded our router to a newer model. From that on, the extender would not accept the router's password.

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried the methods listed here:

- Reset extender
- Factory reset
- Upgrade firmware

All to no avail.

What worked for me though was when I went back to the Tether >Extender Network > Tools > Quick Setup > Selected my host network > Key in my password

and Viola! Password accepted.

I hope this helps.

Options
2022-03-22 05:46:29

Your problem here seems to be with the admin password of the extender. Check if you are using the correct uppercase/lowercase and symbol/characters/letters/numbers combination for the password. If not, the extender will always deny access to the setup wizard. The letter L in uppercase isn’t the same as the lowercase l. Therefore, make sure you are using the correct sequence and format.
If you do not remember the same, you will need to RESET the device settings to factory default. Once the extender is reset, you can reconfigure the network settings using the steps discussed on this page. All the settings on the extender will get deleted and will need to be reconfigured.
If you still face issues accessing the admin panel, you can get in touch with the experts. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15729

Replies: 6

Related Articles