Much slower real life speed compared to what tp-link utility says.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 17:07:24 - last edited 2020-09-28 18:03:16
Model: TL-PA9020 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902011_170703_903

Hi

I finally got to use my powerline adapters for their intended purchase; allowing me to have a server on the top floor while my pc and other devices are on the bottom floor. Let's just say that I am now even less happy with my purchase than I was before.

My setup is this:

• My router is connected directly to my pc and one powerline adapter (that is in a wall outlet).
  • My server is connected directly to the other powerline adapter (that one also in a wall outlet).
  • Everything in my wired network is gigabit capable, including the cables. I have confirmed this, whenever I don't use the powerline adapters I reach speeds well above 900 Mbps.

The measured speed:

I have used iperf3 and transfer of large files from my server to my pc. I've done this several times and made sure that no other high bandwidth traffic is occurring at the moment. The speed never exceeds 120Mbps.

I then tested everything again but wired differently:

Without powerline adapter:

• With a cable directly between my server and pc I got around 950 Mbps.
  • With my pc and server directly wired to my router I got almost the same speed, around 950 Mbps.

With both powerline adapter located on the same powerstrip:

• 200 Mbps

The same thing but with another and more expensive powerstrip:

• 200 Mbps

With both powerline adapters located in the same room but to two different wall outlet (due to the bad design of the adaptors I could not try in the same outlet):

• 180 Mbps

I never believed I would reach the speed advertised on the package (2000 Mbps) but barely reaching on tenth of that when the adapters are in the same room or even in the same powerstrip is not acceptable. Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Edit: The speeds I'm talking about are in my local network, but the same limitations does of course exist when my server "speaks" to the internet. The powerline adaptors are clearly the limiting factor there as well.

Edit2: The "powerline rate" in tp-link utility was more than 800 Mbps when they were in the same room and around 450 Mbps when they are on the different floors.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Much slower real life speed compared to what tp-link utility says.
2020-09-29 21:33:23
Here I have: Model: TL-PA9020P Kit Hardware Version: V1 Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902011_170628_901 And the issues / problems are exactly the same. Is there a solution?
Options
2020-09-30 02:41:31

@FranSilva 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

How long have you had the adapter and did the issue start out of the box?

Have you checked the Ethernet link speed on your device when connected to the power-line adapter

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

Have you tried to reset the adapter by holding the pair button for 10s, then pair them again?

By the way, have you tried to connect the computer and server to two Ethernet ports on the same power-line adapter and run the iperf test again?

---if it is impossible to do that, could you please connect the PC to the second Ethernet port of the main adapter, and server to the other adapter?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-09-30 12:52:05

@Solla-topee 

I bought two TL-PA9020P Kit's in 16/01/2018, One connected to the ISP router, and the other two adapters connected to two other computers.

Before my internet connection was 100Mbps/100Mbps.
The two computers that were each connected to each adapter achieved these speeds (100Mbps/100Mbps)

Now I have 500Mbps/100Mbps internet connection, but the speeds obtained are far from expected.

In the computers above in the picture

Device-Rodrigo 641Mbps » 128Mbps / 95 Mbps (average of 10 measurements)

Device-Fran Jr 817 Mbps » 225Mbps / 98Mbps (average of 10 measurements)

How long have you had the adapter and did the issue start out of the box?

16/01/2018

Have you checked the Ethernet link speed on your device when connected to the power-line adapter:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

Both Ethernet have 1Gbps

Have you tried to reset the adapter by holding the pair button for 10s, then pair them again?

Yes. After the reset , I pair them again. But no changes.

By the way, have you tried to connect the computer and server to two Ethernet ports on the same power-line adapter and run the iperf test again?

Try that, but no changes.

---if it is impossible to do that, could you please connect the PC to the second Ethernet port of the main adapter, and server to the other adapter?
Try that, but no changes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 865

Replies: 3

Related Articles