Cannot reset devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot reset devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Cannot reset devices
Cannot reset devices
2020-10-06 06:05:36 - last edited 2020-10-06 06:09:05

Switches and mini plug cannot be reset with the Kasa App

I have a HS-105 mini plug, a Hs210 3way switch and a Hs200 single switch that were working fine but now have dropped offline and started flashing orange. I tried a restart, but they still refused to connect back into the network. I then tried resetting them and they are flashing orange and blue, however following the setup routine using the kasa app, I can connect to them locally via the phone Wi-Fi but they refuse to be found via the Kasa app after I pass through the I am connected phase to connect them back into the network. They continue the flash orange and blue and the app reports no devices found, retry search or cancel.

This is getting so frustrating...

I'm standing with the phone sitting on the switches or plug, I can't get any closer to them to make the connection.

Help??

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot reset devices
2020-10-06 12:27:30
Flashing orange meant they lost their connection to your wifi - next time it'd be better to figure out why that happened rather than reset them. Sometimes power cycling the router might be enough. To reconnect them shut down any access points if you have them. Power cycle your router. Start with the HS105 and move it closer to your router/wifi, and try the setup process again (it's not about how close you are to them with your phone, it's whether they can see the router wifi). Once it's going try the switches. If they stop flashing they're connected so don't reset them anymore - force your phone onto your router's 2.4GHz SSID and restart the app.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-10-07 04:13:51 - last edited 2020-10-07 04:16:59

@MikeP Thank you for your response,

I know what the flashing means, and I know how to set up the devices. As to the location, I have switches and plugs all around the ones I can't reset that talk without problems to the network, so it's not a network problem.  The problem is that the app cannot not see the devices and times out in the set up phase. I have already refreshed both my router and my net extenders and the devices still do not register with the app so I can finish assigning the network device to attach to.

These things should be LAN based, not WAN, the whole Smart house scheme is nuts as far as I'm concerned. I have what, 6 different providers now and it is not productive (to be politically correct)

Options
2020-10-07 12:21:59
If they all started flashing orange at once it was a network issue (not necessarily a problem, but something was bothering the TP Links). TP Link doesn't update firmware without action on your part and it's unlikely to be a hardware bug would happen to all of your TP Links at the same time otherwise. Since you're using extenders they are almost certainly the problem. TP Link devices are not very good at picking the correct wifi access point and will often try to connect to a weaker signal. Even when they do connect, their LAN protocol doesn't work well across extenders which makes it a problem for the app finding them. So as I said, try temporarily shutting down your extenders and connecting again. Not sure what you mean about the WAN - until the TP Links are connected to your network everything is happening locally.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1134

Replies: 3