I want multiple DHCP pools

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-11 23:16:38 - last edited 2020-10-12 06:13:31

I need a new router because my old one has a problem with the power in jack. 

I want to be able to setup multiple DHCP pools:  One range for hard-wired devices, a second for normal Wi-Fi, and a third range for guest Wi-Fi.  Perhaps an additional range for VPN connections.  I will also need to have at least a few reservations for printers, servers, and access points. 

Does anyone know of a router which can manage that?  (Any brand.)  I have briefly looked at WRT routers.  However, but before I flash the firmware I want to know the end result can handle what I want.  Furthermore, I do not know how to configure WRT routers.  My programming skills in general are decades rusty, likewise any languages. 

If it were as easy as setting up DHCP pools on a Windoze (sarcastic name change) server I could manage it quite easily. 

Thank you in advance for any advice.  Ideally I'd like some assistance if I go with the WRT solution. 

The LEGO Roboticist

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:I want multiple DHCP pools-Solution
2020-10-12 06:13:27 - last edited 2020-10-12 06:13:31

@LEGO-Roboticist 

Hello, TP-Link routers can only assign a single DHCP subnet, you may refer to the below link to check if it is what you need:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/887/

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:I want multiple DHCP pools-Solution
2020-10-12 06:13:27 - last edited 2020-10-12 06:13:31

@LEGO-Roboticist 

Hello, TP-Link routers can only assign a single DHCP subnet, you may refer to the below link to check if it is what you need:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/887/

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:I want multiple DHCP pools
2020-10-12 20:49:24 - last edited 2020-10-12 20:50:59

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.  However, I did *not* state I wanted _separate_  _subnets_ (although that would be great).  Knowing multiple subnets are beyond the capabilities of home devices I am (still) hoping to have multiple DHCP _pools_ *within* the same subnet. 

For example:  192.168.5.0/24

192.168.5.5                   Router
192.168.5.6 to .10         Static IP range for Access points
192.168.5.30 to .69       DHCP Pool for hardwired devices
192.168.5.80 to .119     DHCP Pool for normal Wi-Fi devices
192.168.5.130 to .169   DHCP Pool for Guest Wi-Fi devices
192.168.5.180 to .199   DHCP Pool for VPN connections
192.168.5.210 to .224   Static IP range for servers
192.168.5.235 to .249   Static IP range for printers

Even if I need to use Reserved IP addreses for some things I can manage that.  Right now, on my Linksys router, I try to keep up with everything using IP reservations within one big pool.  But the router seems to "forget" reservations.  Quality... 

If it were possible to configure each interface to a separate pool like that it would meet my needs.  If it could be done with a WRT router I would want to set one up.  However, I would not know how to go about writing such a configuration file if it doesn't have everything in a GUI.  My router configurations days are 20 years out of date.  I've forgoten much of it and the features and commands have developed so much I hardly know where I would start.  I'd prefer to get assistance from an expert rather than have to relearn everything from scratch. 

But if that is what it would take I would take it up.  I just need to know what router (any brand) can do it. 

It just occured to me that to wonder whether it could be done with a different subnet *mask*?  I would have to write it out but would it be possible to make the *devices* think the SNM is /27?  That would provide "pseudo-subnets" of 32 addresses.  Meanwhile the router would handle everything like a standard /24 subnet.  That's probably too complicated... 

Thank you. 

Mike Tighe
The LEGO Roboticist

P.S.  You double posted your first response.  It is probably the computer's fault. 

Options
Re:I want multiple DHCP pools
2020-10-14 07:53:49

@LEGO-Roboticist 

Hello, thank you for your detailed explanation. However, we still need to say sorry that the home routers cannot handle that. You may check if you can find an answer on the business community, or you can post your inquiry there:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/3

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1411

Replies: 3

Related Articles