How to disable AP isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-18 11:27:31
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I had a working chromecast untill I installed a RE305 extender, Cromecast says I must disable AP insulation in the extender, but I can't find how. 

i hope that someone knows.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to disable AP isolation?
2020-10-19 02:18:17

@Glurp 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For the RE305, it does not have AP isolation.

So devices connected to the RE305 would be free to communicate with the devices connected to host network;

But since RE305 used the virtual MAC address, I am not sure if that is the problem.

So is there any error message when you failed to use Chromecast?

If the laptop is connected behind the RE305, are you able to ping the devices successfully connected to the host network?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-19 21:51:46

Solla-topee wrote

@Glurp 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For the RE305, it does not have AP isolation.

So devices connected to the RE305 would be free to communicate with the devices connected to host network;

But since RE305 used the virtual MAC address, I am not sure if that is the problem.

So is there any error message when you failed to use Chromecast?

If the laptop is connected behind the RE305, are you able to ping the devices successfully connected to the host network?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

Thanks a lot.

@Solla-topee 

Good evening,

Thank you for trying to help me.

I don´t know what to ping, so I did like this:

I have two PC:s  conected  to either ROUTERNAME or ROUTERNAME_EXT I and tryed to ping in diffrent ways.

When I pinged from ROUTERNAME to ROUTERNAME I got " "time out" and to ROUTERNAME_EXT  I got "dest host unreachable"

When I pinged from ROUTERNAME_EXT to ROUTERNAME or ROUTERNAME_EXT  I got " "time out" in both cases.

I hope that you got what you need to help me.

Thank you

Options
2020-10-20 01:11:37

@Glurp 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

May I know the model number of your home router since It feels like the AP isolation has been enabled on the home router?

By the way, before you use RE305, did you have any issues with Chromecast?

Or have you tested to unplug the RE305 and connect the two PCs to the router directly and do the ping test again to see what happened?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-20 20:24:57

Solla-topee wrote

@Glurp 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

May I know the model number of your home router since It feels like the AP isolation has been enabled on the home router?

By the way, before you use RE305, did you have any issues with Chromecast?

Or have you tested to unplug the RE305 and connect the two PCs to the router directly and do the ping test again to see what happened?

Thanks a lot.

@Solla-topee 

Good evening,

the router is a Huawei B525s-23a

I had a good working Cromecast before I installed the RE305

I disconnected my RE305 and pinged one PC from the other and got "request timed out"

I hope that this information get you a step closer to solve my problem.

Options
2021-04-04 11:14:47

@Glurp Hi, I also have problems with disabling AP isolation for my ChromeCast.

I wanted to connect my Harman Kardon Citation 300 to our guest network because if there's ever a security issue with the ChromeCast my other devices won't be affected and my home network will not be infected with malware.

My smart speaker is connected via a TP-Link EAP245 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Access Point  - of which I got 2.

Besides that I also have an 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 4-Port PoE (TL-SG108PE V2), which gives my Access Points internet connection from my FritzBox router.

And when I go to the localhost page of the Access Point, it calls it Omada Controller_026DB4. That's probably just the software right?

The weird thing about it is that when I connected my HK smart speaker to the normal network, everything was fine. But now my HK speaker is connected and has a working wifi connection to my guest network, but it won't play music because 'I have not logged in.' When I try to finish the last step in the Google Home app setup, there is always a pop-up asking me to disable AP isolation. So that's weird right, because why would my guest network have AP isolation but my home network not? So to test this hypothesis I tried another smart speaker (a Bose Soundtouch 300 which also has music streaming with Spotify available) and there were no problems when I connected it to the guest network. I selected songs within the Bose app or the Spotify app and it immediately played. So maybe this speaker doesn't have problems with AP isolation because it is not a smart speaker with a ChromeCast in it? Or maybe it has just been designed better. Anyways, when my phone is connected to the home network I can just play music but I have to go in the app to change the volume. Like you would expect. But when I also connect my phone to the guest network, I don't have to go into the app to change the volume of the speaker. If I raise my phone's native volume, the speaker volume goes up. Even when I have closed the Bose and Spotify apps. Which means that my phone is able to directly communicate with the Bose speaker within my guest network. Which means that AP isolation should be off.

Anyway, my question is: where are the AP Isolation settings for this TP-Link EAP245 AC1750? Whenever I am logged in to the router via the localhost page and I go to Wireless settings >> Advanced Wireless settings, I can find all the other options but no option to enable/disable AP isolation. (meaning that I see the options: Beacon Interval - DTIM period  - RTS Threshold - Fragmentation Threshold - Airtime Fairness but under at the list no option for AP Isolation). Does that mean that AP Isolation is automatically disabled on the Access Points? I have searched in every other menu of the router localhost page but couldn't find it. Maybe you know where I can find this setting? By the way, the router has been updated with the latest firmware and the Access Points have also been updated with the latest firmware. I would greatly appreciate it the info!

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6008

Replies: 5

Related Articles