Web download speed running at a fraction of tpPLC transmission capacity AV1000 (TL-PA7017P)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Web download speed running at a fraction of tpPLC transmission capacity AV1000 (TL-PA7017P)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-22 11:22:04
Model: TL-PA7017 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

Quick one I hope - I'm noticing that in my small (recently built) apartment tpPLC is reporting between 500-700mbps (average ~600) transmission capacity to the router. My computer reports a gigabit connection to the router. My internet speed is 1000mbps/1000mbps fiber, guaranteed to reach at least 950bmps at peak times. All cables are 1.5m Cat5e.

I can't have my router in the same room as the pc (fiber plug is other side of rented apartment in a storage closet, can't drill) and there are 3 thick walls between the router and the office killing 5ghz so I opted for powerline. I've tried various plugs and configs, all offer between 500-700mbps transmission capacity as reported by tpPLC, I suspect it's all on the same circuit, and the powerline kits are not on powerboards. I've tried with electrical loads running (electric oven, stereo on and off, microwave, etc) and there's little if any effect when compared to them being off.

Ookla speedtest has at highest reported 200mbps download and 250mbps upload, and at worst about 170mbps up and 230mbps down.

I understand I won't get full gigabit speeds, but I'm stumped as to why I'm not getting the 500-700mbps tpPLC is reporting.

I was hoping for closer to the 500 mark as I've got about 20TB of files I need to move around online, the difference becomes a matter of weeks, was hoping that the kit would do what it said on the box, and what's being reported in tpPLC.

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Web download speed running at a fraction of tpPLC transmission capacity AV1000 (TL-PA7017P)
2020-11-11 09:56:40

@Nothing_Complex 

Good Day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

The power-line rate displayed that transmission speed between the two adapters over the electric wire, which is also considered as the standard to measure the power-line interference.

And Normally, the final internet speed would be around 40% of the powerline rate.

So considering the current powerline rate 500-700 m/s, the download speed would be around 200-280m/s;

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 403

Replies: 1