Deco M9 continuously drops internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-22 23:40:09
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Starting a few days ago, my M9 system has been losing its internet connection. I stay connected to the network, but the internet is gone or slow to the point that it can't even open a webpage. I recently updated to the latest firmware. The only change in my house has been a new PC, but the internet connection is out on all devices. Could there be an IP conflict happening. I have the main deco hard wired to the modem. The Modem is working fine and maintains a connection. It's the M9 system causing the problem. When I reset the main router, internet comes back. I also tried replacing the main deco, but it still has the same problem. Is there any benefit to switching the main deco to a satellite unit? Yhanks

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco M9 continuously drops internet
2020-10-23 01:51:52

I'm having the same problem...also tied to the latest firmware update. Now is not the time to be releasing firmware that breaks connectivity; most the world is working away from the office. Very poor form on tp-link's part. And, adding insult to injury, there is no way to downgrade the version to one that worked for months.

TeddyKGBee wrote

Starting a few days ago, my M9 system has been losing its internet connection. I stay connected to the network, but the internet is gone or slow to the point that it can't even open a webpage. I recently updated to the latest firmware. The only change in my house has been a new PC, but the internet connection is out on all devices. Could there be an IP conflict happening. I have the main deco hard wired to the modem. The Modem is working fine and maintains a connection. It's the M9 system causing the problem. When I reset the main router, internet comes back. I also tried replacing the main deco, but it still has the same problem. Is there any benefit to switching the main deco to a satellite unit? Yhanks

Options
2020-11-10 07:48:06 - last edited 2020-11-10 08:01:00

@JBHorner, @TeddyKGBee: do you both recognize your problems started with flashing the latest firmware?

@JBHorner which version was the one that worked for months? Was it the one published on 2020-08-10, per this page https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m9-plus/#Firmware ?

@tplink_team: is it possible to flash M9 Decos with the previous firmware? Won't it brick them?

I also have problems similar to this one with my brand new 6-unit setup (silly me buying M9, not collecting more critical reviews first), As this is new, I had no chance to observe how previous firmware performed, as I upgraded to the latest, right after unboxing.

Also, I can observe "ping spikes" and packet loss effect reported in a few different threads on this forum. My case is very similar - pinging default gateway:

So again, tplink guys. Is flashing a previous firmware worth a try? How many of you work from home these days? Would you choose M9 plus for that?

Options
2020-11-12 07:58:21

@pirrus   @JBHorner   @TeddyKGBee 

Hello all, sorry to hear that, we can do some troubleshooting first to locate the issue so that we can try to fix it later. Please help confirm the below details:
1. What is the current network diagram/layout? How are the Deco units connected to the network, by cable or via Wi-Fi? Is the Deco M9 the main Deco or the satellite? If possible we hope you could draw us a simple network layout, which will clearly show how the Decos are connected.
2. @JBHorner @TeddyKGBee is the issue occurring after you upgraded the Deco firmware? Or does the issue exist before the firmware update?

3. How about the LEDs on all the Deco M9 units, are they solid green or flashing red when they disconnect from the network? How do you make it back to work after that?
4. How far between the Deco units, you may try to move them closer to the other, or try to swap the location of each node, and monitor again.

Options
2020-11-12 13:55:04 - last edited 2020-11-12 13:57:20

Hello I also have the same problem this occurred after I did the latest update of my Deco M9 Firmware Everything works for a while then the whole network shuts down and starts flashing red after 1-3 minutes, everything starts up again and so it has been going on for 4 days now.

Options
2020-11-21 18:09:50

@TP-Link_Deco Mine exhibited the behavior after the firmware update, not before. The main unit LED turns red. It is directly connected to the ISP's cable modem. I have swapped cables, which has not helped. I have directly connected another device to the cable modem at the point this happens, and it has no problems with connectivity. Of course, when the main hub's LED turns red, the satellites do as well.

Options
2020-11-22 10:21:16

@JBHorner, you might check if some part of your network introduces a switching loop, eventually (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_loop).

Options
2020-12-15 03:02:39

@pirrus - I too have the very same problem. Amazon are offering a refund, which is great, however, I really like these decos and would prefer to see TP link provide the solution. Has anyone seen one yet?

Options
2020-12-15 03:42:23

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@pirrus   @JBHorner   @TeddyKGBee 

Hello all, sorry to hear that, we can do some troubleshooting first to locate the issue so that we can try to fix it later. Please help confirm the below details:

1. What is the current network diagram/layout?

ISP modem wired to to main deco. 2 other decos connect to main deco via mesh network 

How are the Deco units connected to the network, by cable or via Wi-Fi?

Only main deco wired.

Is the Deco M9 the main Deco or the satellite?

all 3 units are M9 plus decos 

If possible we hope you could draw us a simple network layout, which will clearly show how the Decos are connected.

Sorry, no way to do this. However, it's a very simple setup, described above.

2. @JBHorner @TeddyKGBee is the issue occurring after you upgraded the Deco firmware?

Not sure of the date of recent update so cannot confirm this.

Or does the issue exist before the firmware update?

it's a recent issue, starting early December. Before that, all was well.

3. How about the LEDs on all the Deco M9 units, are they solid green or flashing red when they disconnect from the network?

The satellite units start flashing red then go constant red. The ISP modem still has an internet connection, definitely no problem here. I walk in to the other room to look at the main deco which is constant red by the time I get there.

How do you make it back to work after that?

ive learnt that I I just leave it all alone, in time, the connection picks up again and all the deco LED lights turn to go green again (after about 4 - 5 minutes).

4. How far between the Deco units, you may try to move them closer to the other, or try to swap the location of each node, and monitor again.

I'm sure the distance is not the issue. They have worked fine since March and it's not that far anyway. It seems like the main deco just loses the connection to the modem and then passes the lack

of internet connection on to the other two

units. I've noticed that the devices connected to the decos don't lose connection to the units and the Wi-Fi mesh is still working, they just loses their connection to the internet which is normally being supplied to them via the deco units. 

please help, or I'll have to send these back within the next few days as I cannot work with a connection that is constantly being dropped. My suspicion is it's a firmware problem. If it is, please could you confirm that it's being worked on and give an idea of when you hope to be releasing an update.

mamy thanks, Ray

@TP-Link_Deco 

Options
2021-03-05 15:32:31

@TeddyKGBee I think I've been experiencing a similar issue. As the WIFI of my internet router was pretty unstable, I installed two Deco M9 back in May 2020. It has been working extremely well until few days ago. Did you get any clear answer from TP-link?  Thanks ,

Here is a brief description of my problem: 

• My M9 system is now loosing internet or is (when I'm lucky) very slow. I cannot use it anymore.
  • The main deco M9 is connected to my router with an ethernet cable.
  • I connect my computers through the M9 wifi.
  • When the internet connection is lost,  I'm still able to ping the router or even external ip addresses through the M9 wifi network but I'm unable to ping a name (i.e. it seems that I have a problem with the DNS). 
  • If I switch my computer to the router wifi, it works but I'm back to the situation I experienced in April 2020 

Options
2021-03-08 10:00:53

@ET77 

Hi,

I checked your current firmware and it turned out that it was on 1.2.11 which is quite old;

Could you please try to update the firmware to a new version first,

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/deco-m9-plus/v2/#Firmware

such as Deco M9 Plus(EU)_V2_200921

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202010/20201009/Deco%20M9%20Plus_V2_200921.zip

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2063

Replies: 10

Related Articles