please explain these lookups by the Deco's every 4 minutes ???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-26 16:27:39 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:49:42
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

@TPlink, please explain why my deco has a need to query facebook, reddit,  linkedin and a bunch of others EVERY 4 MINUTES!!!!! ..  see screenshot.

Just to be clear, those are not requests by users on the network, but requests by the Deco's themselves..   

Sorry guys, but chinese companies are not very thrustworthy these days, so I'd like to know why this is please...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:please explain these lookups by the Deco's every 4 minutes ???-Solution
2020-10-27 08:14:28 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:49:30

@realjax 

Hello, thanks for the update.

Firstly, Deco device is a network device or system, just like your PC, it will need to resolve or send the DNS request to one or several of those domains or websites, such as the domain names mentioned here to detect the online connection and it is part of the green LED status, which means the internet is good on the system, only when Deco resolves the outside website successfully, can it display a solid green light (even when it is in AP mode). You may also check some other network devices from other manufacturers, they should be working like this and behaving the same.

Secondly, Deco only resolves the DNS domain names but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so please don't worry about the traffic or data usage in your network, it won't be much.

Additionally, different regions may have a different network or DNS domain limitations/restrictions, so it will try to resolve different domains based on your region, you may block some while it will connect to the others in order to keep the connection alive. If you block all the domains from your network, the Deco system will display a red light.

May this answer your inquiry.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:please explain these lookups by the Deco's every 4 minutes ???-Solution
2020-10-27 08:14:28 - last edited 2022-03-22 06:49:30

@realjax 

Hello, thanks for the update.

Firstly, Deco device is a network device or system, just like your PC, it will need to resolve or send the DNS request to one or several of those domains or websites, such as the domain names mentioned here to detect the online connection and it is part of the green LED status, which means the internet is good on the system, only when Deco resolves the outside website successfully, can it display a solid green light (even when it is in AP mode). You may also check some other network devices from other manufacturers, they should be working like this and behaving the same.

Secondly, Deco only resolves the DNS domain names but it is not actually connecting or pinging to the websites, so please don't worry about the traffic or data usage in your network, it won't be much.

Additionally, different regions may have a different network or DNS domain limitations/restrictions, so it will try to resolve different domains based on your region, you may block some while it will connect to the others in order to keep the connection alive. If you block all the domains from your network, the Deco system will display a red light.

May this answer your inquiry.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:please explain these lookups by the Deco's every 4 minutes ???
2020-10-27 14:21:50 - last edited 2020-10-27 14:47:08

@TP-Link_Deco   

TPLINK blocked my account from further posting on the forum so I had to create a new account just to reply here to the thread I started myself.

I understand I am a sore pain in the a$$ of tplink these days. 

But really... if TP link thinks the solution to all their (self created) problems is to just shut their customers up when they complain then TP link as a company has sunk even deeper then I thought. 

Very sad.

Options
2020-10-27 14:45:59

So.. when it (thinks it) cant reach facebook, youtube, linkedin, reddit and/or live.com it decides it is not connected to the internet ?

Hat tip to your engineers for this sharp algorythm!

You should copyright it.

Options
2020-10-28 02:19:36

@realjax2 

Hello, thanks for reminding and thanks for all of your valued suggestions again. While we actually don't block any user to show his voice or report any issue he actually encounters with the TP-Link products, and we will actively respond to those issues reporting or suggestions. We suggest our customers to positively discuss or communicate here:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/150593

Options
2020-10-28 11:12:46

@TP-Link_Deco 

> While we actually don't block any user to show his voice or report any issue

sure. Of course you don't.

This is what happens when I try to reply with my orginal account:

Options
2020-10-28 11:43:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

There is nothing wrong with doing DNS lookups to check basic Internet connectivity, but it is polite to do that against your own domains. 

So, if you please pass that as a feature request to your developers: reconsider doing DNS lookups against third party sites not affiliated with TP-Link, replace them with DNS lookups against TP-Link owned domains.

Options
2020-10-28 12:08:23

@Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for your kind suggestions, we will feedback to the developers and ask them to evaluate this DNS lookups re-design.

Options
2020-10-28 17:36:35

@Alexandre. 

>There is nothing wrong with doing DNS lookups to check basic Internet connectivity

Of course there is. The problem here is that all your deco units will flash a red light and the app wil say 'no internet'. Without *any* further info.  

I was also pissed off because this is not the first time the deco units start querying some servers on the net. At one point my 3 units combined would  query some non existing time servers  over a hundred thousand times a day. A 'feature' that according to the release notes I have seen so far is still not fixed..

Options
2020-10-28 19:31:09

@realjax2 

> Of course there is [the problem].

I can rephrase: it is not uncommon to use DNS queries to check internet connectivity. Other common methods include downloading Web page and checking HTTP code, or downloading image file.

> At one point my 3 units combined would  query some non existing time servers  over a hundred thousand times a day. 

That's exactly why I said it is polite to query your own domains. Yet another example of what could happen if third party domain not under TP-Link control suddenly changes. Yes, I saw that thread on this forum, too. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1582

Replies: 9

Related Articles