Signal strength lights turning on and off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-01 17:52:56
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: v0001.0

This 4G router sometimes loses internet connectivity, while my smartphone, using  a SIM card from the same internet provider seems to have much more reliable connection.

Just a while ago for example, the router had  no internet connection but my smartphone's SIM was working fine.

The lights on the router were  as follows: The globe internet icon was ON, but the 3 bar signal strength indicators were ON for about 3 seconds then OFF for a similar time, then continuing to turn on and off as described.

Now this is what is happening. The signal bars: 3 lights stay on for a few seconds, then change to one bar, then off, then repeat - and  now I just saw the change from 3- 2- 1- OFF, repeatimg like that. So not always in exactly the same order. On this router, I am using a MIMO external antenna, basically similar to the antennas I removed from the router, but bigger in size.

Then some time later connectivity returned to the router, but with the signal lights changing from 1 to 2 bars, to off for very short time, sometimes also going to 3 bars.

Of course, my smartphone only has its built-in antenna, but just now seems to give me a much more reliable connection than this particular TP Link router.

Any ideas? Or Is it possible that the router goes into a kind of sleep mode in periods of inactivity?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Signal strength lights turning on and off
2020-11-06 07:37:39

@Seanog 

Good day,

Thanks for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know where are you located and who is your internet service provider?

How long have you had the modem and when did this issue start?

When the internet dropped, have you even noticed the LTE bands changed as well on the advanced>basic page?

Since we do have a beta firmware which could fix the instability issue caused by the auto band switching, have you tried that firmware already?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Signal strength lights turning on and off
2020-11-17 16:22:32
Hi, I'm located in Spain. I have a 4g connection and the connection seems reasonably ok lately, although sometimes a bit slow and some dropouts. I have just checked the led lights on the router and they are as follows: All lights normal except the 4g signal strength light which stays on the full 3 bars for about 3 or 4 seconds, then changes to 1 bar for about 1 second, then OFF for maybe 0.5 second, then 3 bars again, 1 bar, etc, as explained above. Any ideas what this changing light means? Thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 977

Replies: 2