PowerLink consistently slows down after some usage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-01 19:28:16 - last edited 2020-11-01 19:42:49
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a TP-Link PowerLink adapter plugged into mains electricity and connected via ethernet cable to my PC. Upon plugging it in, it works well, giving similar speeds to my WiFi and greater reliability. However, after a few hours of usage the speeds suddenly drop and do not return. It drops from 20mbps down, 8mbps up to 2mbps down and 5mbps up. Sometimes these slow speeds are preceded by a minute or so of near zero connectivity. The issue is not with the broadband more generally, as switching back to WiFi returns speeds to normal.

Restarting the PC does not help. However, if the PC is shut down, left for a few minutes and then turned back on, the issue is at least somewhat temporarily alleviated. When the PC is turned off overnight speeds through the PowerLink return to normal until running for a few hours again. I have confirmed the issue is not with the PC as disconnecting the ethernet cable and plugging it into another device while the problem is ongoing yields the same results.

The same results have occurred while the PowerLink is plugged into two different sockets, although both via extension leads. When the issue is occurring, the two lower green lights on the PowerLink seem to flicker faster than usual. The top green light remains constantly on. It feels like the adapter could be throttling speeds for some reason, as if it may be overheating or something like that? However, an identical issue has occurred with two different TP-Link PowerLinks so I do not believe it is a faulty adapter. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:PowerLink consistently slows down after some usage
2020-11-02 09:02:17

@ollie123455667 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Is the model number TL-PA4010KIT, 2*TL-PA4010?
  2. When the speed dropped, did the power-line rate slow down as well on the utility?
  3. How long have you had the adapter and when did this issue start?
  4. Did the adapters get warmer when the issue started?
  5. What are the hardware and firmware version of the TL-PA4010?
  6. When this issue started, if you try to ping Google DNS 8.8.8.8, would there be any ping spike?

How to ping: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/425/

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and support.

Options
Re:PowerLink consistently slows down after some usage
2020-11-02 12:43:37

@Solla-topee 

1. Yes I believe so

2. I think the powerline rate does drop slightly, but they remain around 20mbps at lowest which is still far higher than the speeds which I see during the drops

3. I have owned the adapter for two or three years I think, but this issue has always occurred when I have tried to use the adapter. The adapter has generally been used by my dad who only uses it for relatively short periods of time and for non-intensive usage, so he has never experienced the issue as it only tends to happen for me after a few hours.

4. I think the adapter is warmer when the issue is ongoing yes, although it seems that even when it starts to cool down again the speeds stay slow until the PC is turned off for a few minutes.

5. The back of the adapter says (UK)/1.2 so I suppose 1.2 is the hardware version? I am unsure how to check the firmware version.

6. The ping reported by Speedtest.net does not increase when the issue is ongoing. I can try to check the ping to 8.8.8.8 but I will have to wait a few hours for the issue to occur again first.

Options